coops

I came home to one less chicken today
sad.png
I am feeling awful I realy need to re think my coop design.

Sorry for your loss. It is not easy to loose an animal. I hope that there are no further unexpected subtractions from your flock.
sad.png

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I dread the day it happens to me. We have only had our coop since April 2012 and I am in NJ. I was freaking out when it got down to 54 degrees - my DH took out the plexiglass window and covered it with hardware cloth so they would have more ventilation I was worried they would be cold - I will be a wreck in the winter!!!

I am convinced whoever designed the coop we bought never had a chicken in their life. There were only two small holes for ventilation - 2" in diameter. Anyway, do lots and lots and LOTS of coop research, and then do some more!! My DH wished I had shown him this site before we started!! Ah . . . hindsight!

Is this coop from a kit or did you make it from a plan.I am not a builder, I,m lucky if I can hit a nail straight on. I bought supplies from home depot to make a run. It was a mess, I have looked at so many coops, the ones that look the strongest are so expensive not sure whats best to do.

When I came home from work and let the girls out and just kept counting looking for my 5th girl, I thought maybe she didn't go in the coop at night, that I missed her.
I have reinforced my coop and hope to get a new one very soon. I have concern regrading the winter also. My friend who has 25 hens tells me I am worrying to much, my girls are
cold weather hardy, also I plan on putting the heat bulb that I used when they were chick's

Back
Top Bottom