Coping Strategies for NOISY suburban hens

lol.png
big_smile.png
You guys are AMAZING! The suggestions are priceless and I'll put them to work. One suggestion given has been in effect already for a week - I have given neighbors eggs (just 1/2 doz at a shot) so they 'have a horse' in my chicken race. I'm sure that has helped to keep me from hearing any complaints thus far. Will continue ingratiating meself to the neighbors, hopefully fostering their tollerance of my hen's occasional BWAAAAAKKKing!

Why my girls fuss makes sense when I have to go to work and leave them in their run - I assume they fuss while I'm gone. When I'm home they fuss before and after being let out of their run. My luck they are noisy for about 2 hours after dawn, then they pipe down as they go about touring my yard for bugs and such. I wish they came with on/off switches.

My worry is when they spend their day in their run. Just now I can't open their run pre-dawn because my neighborhood has raccoons and I don't want to treat the raccoons to chicken for breakfast. In a couple of weeks I will be able to let the girls out before going to work as I'll be leaving after dawn. I'm sorry I can't pamper my girls much on the week days - I'm just a 'po workin' girl' so the girls are latchkey chickens during the week days.

WoodlandWoman, chuckzoo, I thank the pair of you for your excellent advice. Will try all you recommended; the sunflower bribery (brilliant idea!). I was reading in the back forum files that black sunflower seeds will help the eggs 'slip' out the hens a bit easier so sunflower seeds are now on 'the menu'.

By the way, Mstricer, your roo story is a crack up - Favs are fabulous, aren't they?
lol.png

If it's any help. Mine only are noisy for a little while if I'm slow at letting them out. Then they quiet down. Maybe a half hour.

Imp

mine are noisiest in the morning and evening. we give them as much free range time by letting them out as soon as the sun comes up. We take away their food for these first few hours while they are running around the yard while we get ready for work. When it is time for us to leave, we put their food out for them in the coop/run along with some lettuce, cabbage or other snacks we have for them to occupy their time. This technique makes it easier for us to get them back in the coop/run because they want their food and treats and increases how distracted they get once they are back in, so that they are a bit quieter.

We are often home in time to let them out again in the evening.

The thing that quiets them down the most is to be out of the coop.

On weekends I lock them in the coop until 9am. It is pretty dark in there so they stay quiet when locked in.

It sounds like your hens are about 6 months old - they are still maturing and their personalities may change, including their noisiness. Hopefully for the quieter!

During the worst of the hawk migration, when there are no leaves on the trees, either, we make the chickens stay in the run, unless we or the dogs are outside to protect them. Back when we had them pastured with the sheep, the sheep kept the hawks away. Anyway, I'll be in the house and they will be perfectly quiet in the run. Then all of a sudden they'll see my husband in the driveway, coming home from work. What a ruckus! He is such a sucker for those girls and they know it!
lol.png

So, keep in mind that your chickens may not be as loud as you think, while you're at work. They may just be putting on a show for you when you get home at night.
wink.png

OK I have to take back my last post.

I'm here sitting in the den, just finished up with the taxes. I hear chickens getting up close to the house and...

... my alpha hen is crowing.

Imp-
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom