Coping with bad air cells

Mandymooligan

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Chino Valley, AZ
I recently got a box of 36 well packaged shipped eggs. All had dislodged or ruptured air cells in spite all precautions being taken. I let them rest 24 hours in the bator unplugged. Then I turned the bator on but not the turner and let them come up to heat and let them sit 48 hours. After 48 hours I turned the egg turner on. After 5 days I am surprised that most of them are developing, YAY!! Anyway I have noticed that these eggs are losing moisture inside pretty fast and the resulting space where the air cell should be is HUGE. Should I keep my humidity higher than normal to prevent more moisture from being lost within the egg? I have been keeping it between 35-45 and the eggs are 6 days along. Also to prevent unneccessary handling I candle the eggs where they sit and do not take them out. I do this by keeping the room very dark and just lightly touching the top of the egg with the flashlight. It is easy to see which are developing and which are not. I feel that at this point any unneccessary movement could be really bad. Is there anything else I should do to help them along?

I don't really have much advice, but I hatched 6/9 shipped eggs over the weekend. All had pretty bad air cells. Other than not turning them the first couple days, I didn't do anything different.

A couple of them hatched a little goofy- one had to be helped a little bit, and one pipped at the narrow end, but overall, I was very pleased.

Oh, and I candled them fairly obsessively.

I recently got a box of 36 well packaged shipped eggs. All had dislodged or ruptured air cells in spite all precautions being taken. I let them rest 24 hours in the bator unplugged. Then I turned the bator on but not the turner and let them come up to heat and let them sit 48 hours. After 48 hours I turned the egg turner on. After 5 days I am surprised that most of them are developing, YAY!! Anyway I have noticed that these eggs are losing moisture inside pretty fast and the resulting space where the air cell should be is HUGE. Should I keep my humidity higher than normal to prevent more moisture from being lost within the egg? I have been keeping it between 35-45 and the eggs are 6 days along. Also to prevent unneccessary handling I candle the eggs where they sit and do not take them out. I do this by keeping the room very dark and just lightly touching the top of the egg with the flashlight. It is easy to see which are developing and which are not. I feel that at this point any unneccessary movement could be really bad. Is there anything else I should do to help them along?

I have the opposite problem but I would say that you should increase your humidity slightly. Too large of an aircell at hatch time can prevent the chicklet from externally pipping!
hugs.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom