Coping with bullying

Cluckapalooza

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
I have a small flock. 4 hens and two roosters. Luck of the draw I guess. Everyone got along great, even the Roos. One of my Roos (good looking Polish) fell sick, no idea what he had, but we brought him in and nursed him back to health. He was inside for 5 days and I am now bringing him out to free range with the rest of the crew. Day one was bad. Everyone attacked him, even my pacifist, Camila. Today it was just the hens messing with him (albeit less consistently). I can’t let him stay out in the run when I’m not out there out of fear he’ll get beat up. Had to treat a head wound on the poor guy a couple months ago. Are they just asserting a new pecking order or is he no longer welcome?

I have a small flock. 4 hens and two roosters. Luck of the draw I guess. Everyone got along great, even the Roos. One of my Roos (good looking Polish) fell sick, no idea what he had, but we brought him in and nursed him back to health. He was inside for 5 days and I am now bringing him out to free range with the rest of the crew. Day one was bad. Everyone attacked him, even my pacifist, Camila. Today it was just the hens messing with him (albeit less consistently). I can’t let him stay out in the run when I’m not out there out of fear he’ll get beat up. Had to treat a head wound on the poor guy a couple months ago. Are they just asserting a new pecking order or is he no longer welcome?
Could be new pecking order. I would set up a see but not touch station so there used to him but cant touch and then re evaluate after a week or two of that then I would plop him in at nice and keep a close eye on them when they wake.

You could make a video of how they act and post this might give us a better idea

I see that you joined in September. So I am making some assumptions... that your birds are coming on to 6 months, and that they all are the same age, flock-mates. Because you have 6 birds, I am wondering if you have a pre-fab coop. They often recommend that they are big enough for 6 birds. So those are my assumptions, and I may be wrong.

What was more than enough space for chicks, OFTEN becomes not enough space for full size birds. Very often there are posts here, where the flock was raised together, everything was peachy, until it wasn't, and it is generally around 5-6 months of age.

2 roosters and 4 hens can get along, but not real often. In a smaller set up, there is less likely chance of that happening. Some birds handle cramped space better than others, and some cannot tolerate it at all.

In your flocks mind, this is a total stranger, and if things are tight anyway, they don't want him back. The see no touch might work, and again it might not. A lot is going to depend on your set up. If you could post pictures that would help us help you.

Mrs K

This is the run and coop they are in when they aren’t free ranging. The run is 9’x8’ and about 6’ tall with several perches inside. Not sure on the square footage of the coop. I have acquired pallets and am starting to build a larger coop. I have a small coop that I got originally when I only had the first two chicks (end of March) then expanded when I was given the other 4 in august. I suspect it may be the space in the coop because I noticed he was sleeping in a nesting box before he got sick and the rest were on the perch. I may try to marry up the old coop and this one to give them more space at night, until I can finish the pallet palace. I am putting a dog pen in the run this afternoon, so they can hang separately. Crossing my fingers.

Attachments

• 42F4556E-569C-4ED2-8562-D639C1B7135F.jpeg
    42F4556E-569C-4ED2-8562-D639C1B7135F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Forgot to come back and update. Finished the new coop. It’s 80” by 46” and average 40” tall (sloped roof). Connected it to the big run (8’x9’ and 6’ in the middle) and added on my first run that is an additional 70”by 36” and 42” tall. Everyone seems to be happy with the new room. Friendly roosting at night. Put in three roosts, each is 46” long. Lots of space to spread out. No fighting. 😃

Back
Top Bottom