coping with the heat

Figgy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 3, 2010
Morphett Vale
Hi everyone, Ive been trying to search the net for information on tollerating the heat, ive found loads of info on the cold but not much on how chickens tollerate hot conditions, our temperatures can reach up to 45C in summer and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help keep them cool, all I have found is info on how to recognise heat stress. I only have 8 girls and a small coup but a large run under a large pine tree, the afternoon sun is blocked out so they have shade all afternoon, I have put lots of water bowls around the run. Any other ideas?

I am pretty new to the game myself. However, I have found as long as the coop has ample ventilation and the birds are provided with unlimited water they will be fine. They will usually hide out in the shade during the day. So that would be good as well. So I guess they need 3 things...water, ventilation, and shade.
smile.png

Hope this helps.

Freeze milk jugs full of water and blow a fan over to cool the air. You can use a mister. Feed chickens cold watermelon and other water rich foods. Put ice in waterers.

Goodness, that's warm!

Mine liked a fan in the hottest part of the day. They'd hang out in front of it often.
They liked a mister, but few wanted to get wet by it, but hung out around it far enough away that I think the air was just lightly cooled by it.
They loved when I soaked the ground with the hose... they'd dig and take a dirt bath in the cooler, damp soil.

I tried frozen bottles of water... wasted time and energy for me... not one got near them.
hmm.png
But, I kept trying!

Ice in the water was good.
And cold treats/fruits were a hit.

Of course, PLENTY of shade. They sought shade as soon as the day started warming up!

I worry far more about high heat w/ humidity than I do cold, cold temps! Mine seem pretty unfazed by the cold right now, but were obviously hot in the peak of the heat.

Quote:
Let the kids have the goodies and give the chickens the rest. Plenty left for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom