Self cleaning wading pool for hot chickens

my chickens are 8 weeks old. We are in NJ where temps were close to 97 today. They are in a run that has a tarp over, and when we put our hands in, its def cooler than being in the sun. BUT, i want to cool them down and yet they would not want to get mist on them, they didn't want anything to do with the frozen peas and corn in a plate of water, they don't seem to be into scraps either. what should I do? do you think as they get older, they will enjoy these things? They do have access to two water feeders at opposite ends of the run. Tomorrow I'll have my girls refill a few more times to keep the water from warming too quickly.
They cool off through their feet, so try a wading pool with blocks in it for standing.

The OP has a method. I do as pictured.

Attachments

• 20230717_163049.jpg
    20230717_163049.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 11
my chickens are 8 weeks old. We are in NJ where temps were close to 97 today. They are in a run that has a tarp over, and when we put our hands in, its def cooler than being in the sun. BUT, i want to cool them down and yet they would not want to get mist on them, they didn't want anything to do with the frozen peas and corn in a plate of water, they don't seem to be into scraps either. what should I do? do you think as they get older, they will enjoy these things? They do have access to two water feeders at opposite ends of the run. Tomorrow I'll have my girls refill a few more times to keep the water from warming too quickly.
Also original post (refilling wading pool) is my solution to hot chickens- they prefer terracotta plate because it sweats and so stays cooler with evaporative cooling-

my chickens are 8 weeks old. We are in NJ where temps were close to 97 today. They are in a run that has a tarp over, and when we put our hands in, it’s def cooler than being in the sun. BUT, i want to cool them down and yet they would not want to get mist on them, they didn't want anything to do with the frozen peas and corn in a plate of water, they don't seem to be into scraps either. what should I do? do you think as they get older, they will enjoy these things? They do have access to two water feeders at opposite ends of the run. Tomorrow I'll have my girls refill a few more times to keep the water from warming too quickly.
We put large food containers / serving trays low enough for them to step into and fill them with water if they want to wade and keep their feet cool if the water gets too hot and we add an ice pack and just switch those out off and on.

Agreed. My pan has a mere 2" lip. I tried an experiment the other day...

I put some water in the pan (barely enough to cover the bottom) but purposely left out the blocks. They normally love their 'pool' but they would not go in. (except for my 2 young babies-- they were willing to go in) I left it that way for the day and none of the others would go in. So the blocks, apparently, make all the difference.
My life....I finally figured out women, then cats.....chickens seem to be even more challenging! LOL

Back
Top Bottom