Thanks!

Last I checked his FAMACHA it was a C(3) maybe a D(4)….. that was before the fecal and switching to the higher copper/selenium mineral.

Since I know that he did not have barber pole worms, but some cocci (which I treated), could that have caused the low famacha? It was it a copper deficiency??

His coat was rough the day I brought him home, so maybe the low famacha was caused by a copper deficiency?

Also, one last thing: he doesn’t stuff himself like my doelings do on hay. They have humongous rumens (not bloat 😅) but he has about a normal sized one. Not too big. Is this due to him being weaned 2 weeks ago? The cocci? Or do boys just eat a bit less?

Feces normal and acts normal!

Thanks!

Last I checked his FAMACHA it was a C(3) maybe a D(4)….. that was before the fecal and switching to the higher copper/selenium mineral.

Since I know that he did not have barber pole worms, but some cocci (which I treated), could that have caused the low famacha? It was it a copper deficiency??

His coat was rough the day I brought him home, so maybe the low famacha was caused by a copper deficiency?

Also, one last thing: he doesn’t stuff himself like my doelings do on hay. They have humongous rumens (not bloat 😅) but he has about a normal sized one. Not too big. Is this due to him being weaned 2 weeks ago? The cocci? Or do boys just eat a bit less?

Both my wethers are slimmer than my does.

Thanks!

Copper deficiency can cause anemia, so maybe? Keep checking it. The new minerals may help.

@Regina Larsen I was concerned he was sick, but he acts totally normal, and has normal feces. I guess wethers, since they can’t breed and don’t have as much hormones, just eat a bit less? Doelings have all their reproductive systems so they eat more?

@Aunt Angus I think it is copper deficiency…? The breeder was trying different goat minerals, when I asked which mineral they were using. Later, I noticed that the goats I got from the breeder already had low FAMACHA.

Now it’s just a waiting game I guess! I will check their FAMACHA in a few weeks😀🐐

@Regina Larsen I was concerned he was sick, but he acts totally normal, and has normal feces. I guess wethers, since they can’t breed and don’t have as much hormones, just eat a bit less? Doelings have all their reproductive systems so they eat more?

@Aunt Angus I think it is copper deficiency…? The breeder was trying different goat minerals, when I asked which mineral they were using. Later, I noticed that the goats I got from the breeder already had low FAMACHA.

Now it’s just a waiting game I guess! I will check their FAMACHA in a few weeks😀🐐
I think yr right, less testosterone less bulk

You can see the mineral levels of soils in your area online. I think this is the site: https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/sir20175118

My area is slightly deficient in both copper and selenium, so I supplement both. I bolus my goats every 3-4 months. I started doing so when they were kids using the copper bolus for kids, which has a much smaller dose. I find it's easy to avoid overdoing the copper if you know their weights. Of course, that's easy for someone like me who only has 4!

As far as selenium, I find they get enough between their minerals and Goat Balancer, though I do have the paste on hand if needed.

I've read that Copper deficiency can cause anemia, which can make them susceptible to parasites, particularly the barberpole worm. If severe or chronic, it can cause ataxia, osteoporosis, and musculoskeletal (swayback, in particular) and neurological problems. It can slow development in kids, too. Copper also aids in the absorption of other minerals, so I find it's good to keep their blood levels consistent. A vet should be able to check their copper levels by doing bloodwork in certain circumstances.

If you are careful and know your area, I find it's pretty simple to keep on top of copper. I hope it is, anyway......

ETA: If your herd is on well water, it might be worth testing that for copper levels, too.
Thanks for all the feedback and information! It is so helpful, as I am trying to figure out if I need to supplement or not.

Also, out of curiosity which mineral do you free choice, since you use Goat Balancer? I considered using Goat Balancer along with Purina Goat mineral, but that would cause my goats to have 2900ppm of copper available..... Making me worry about toxicity!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback and information! It is so helpful, as I am trying to figure out if I need to supplement or not.

Also, out of curiosity which mineral do you free choice, since you use Goat Balancer? I considered using Goat Balancer along with Purina Goat mineral, but that would cause my goats to have 2900ppm of copper available..... Making me worry about toxicity!
SweetLix. But they RARELY eat it.

Back
Top Bottom