Copper on wings determine sex on a Marans?

sideWing

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Utah
I'm wondering if the copper on this blue Marans wings and head are any indicator of sex? Or maybe you can tell from the comb? Any feedback is appreciated! I have heard it's really hard to tell with Marans.

Last edited:
As a rule, copper coming in on wings is male markings. Females get copper on the neck/chest, but not wings.

However, what I'm seeing here isn't the copper coloring I'm talking about, and I don't think the chick is blue. The brownish color is showing some other genetics at play. I'm not a Marans person but do know Wheaton seems to crop up in black copper lines, I'm wondering if that's what is at play here.

As a rule, copper coming in on wings is male markings. Females get copper on the neck/chest, but not wings.

However, what I'm seeing here isn't the copper coloring I'm talking about, and I don't think the chick is blue. The brownish color is showing some other genetics at play. I'm not a Marans person but do know Wheaton seems to crop up in black copper lines, I'm wondering if that's what is at play here.
x2

That is juvenile partridge type feathering. It is not, however, a good indication of adult color. It only means that there are partridge type genes at play in this bird. Barring is solid bands of alternating color.

That is juvenile partridge type feathering. It is not, however, a good indication of adult color. It only means that there are partridge type genes at play in this bird. Barring is solid bands of alternating color.
I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to Marans. What does partridge feathering mean in the Marans? Is it anything to do with cuckoo, or is that different?

Black copper Marans are a variation of partridge pattern. Cuckoo or barring is alternating, solid bands of white and another color. Chicks go through several molts in their first few months of life. Their appearance can change week to week. What you are seeing on this chick right now, is not going to be it's final plumage. I think that chick is a black copper Maran. The black feathers will probably have more copper lacing and penciling than usual though.

Black copper Marans are a variation of partridge pattern. Cuckoo or barring is alternating, solid bands of white and another color. Chicks go through several molts in their first few months of life. Their appearance can change week to week. What you are seeing on this chick right now, is not going to be it's final plumage. I think that chick is a black copper Maran. The black feathers will probably have more copper lacing and penciling than usual though.
Thank you for the education. I'm interested to see how it turns out. He must be a dark blue because folks keep saying black, but here he is in the bottom of this pic with his head out of the picture and his siblings are jet black.

Last edited:
3 Marans I received were feathering out much faster than the 4th Marans so I was really hoping that was an indicator of fast feather growing females, but after reading other threads it sounds like Marans males and females are all over the place with feather growth as far as sex is concerned.

Here he is with some blacks. Does he look more blue now? What do you think of the sex of the chicks to the right of him? Still too soon to tell?

Back
Top Bottom