1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Copper Sulfate for chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBoPeep1, Jan 31, 2017.

1. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    My flock has had canker for a little while now and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I was thinking of adding copper sulfate to their water (1g per 2 1/2 liters of water in a plastic container). But, after researching a little more and finding this.... I got a little scared.

"Laying hens were fed copper sulfate at concentrations of 78 ppm Cu and 1437 ppm Cu for 2 weeks. At the highest concentration, hens produced fewer eggs, consumed less feed, and developed ulcers in the gizzard and oral cavity. Other studies of chickens that were fed copper sulfate reported oral lesions proportional to the dose of copper, and conflicting effects on feeding rate and weight gain"

The copper sulfate I have is not acidified copper sulfate. Is that okay? Does anybody have experience or advice for using copper sulfate?
    Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check with Jefferspet.com online. They sell acidified copper sulfate for a few dollars. The dosage is only 1/4 tsp. per gallon of water, and it is given for 3 days once a month to help prevent the spread of the disease. It really is not a good treatment for canker, only a preventative, and used more than that is dangerous. For a canker outbreak you will need to use drugs such as metronidazole (Flagyl, FishZole) which are available online in fish stores. Dosage is 125mg twice a day for 5 days. To be honest, though, having a whole flock with canker, many people would cull those birds. I would check with a vet, and make sure that is what they have. Sometimes it is difficult to tell canker lesions from wet fowl pox or some respiratory diseases that cause yellow exudate inside the beak and throat. Can you post any pictures of the lesions? One thing you can do is to disinfect your waterers and feeders, and make sure the drinking water is fresh daily to help prevent it. Since I don't have any experience with canker, I'm sure that you could get more info by doing a search at the top of this page.

I just went back to read your previous posts about canker, and that you have treated one before with FishZole. You might need to check with a vet for a combination drug or for advice on treatment.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, all my chickens are like my pets so I really will try everything to help them. I also have two separate coops that I am afraid will be affected (not yet I think). Could I try to put fish zole in the flock's waterer instead of individually dosing them?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people would give it directly to each chicken to be sure of the proper dose. I have never used fish zole, so I'm not sure that it is water soluble, and not going to settle out in water. Maybe others who have treated rhis in their flocks will chime in, but with having other unaffected chickens in separate coops, I probably wouldn't risk them getting sick too. I hope you can figure out how to deal with this, and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by