Copperhead headed for the coop?šŸ˜²

One Lucky Momma

Chicken Kisser
Apr 25, 2020
Marshall, NC
The other night when I went to tuck in the birds this was under their ramp :
A2BB787F-5292-4BF1-B38E-0BDB5BBA5618.jpeg

Copperheads are common here, but this was the first time Iā€™ve found one actually inside the barn (the coop is in the barn).

My question is whether or not the snake was here because it was specifically interested in the birds (or eggs?) or if it was just looking for mice, or a place to sleep. Or, heaven forbid, nest.

Stretched out it was just short of three feet. Iā€™m ashamed to say it was dispatched with a manure shovel, the only thing I could grab at the moment. Had it been outside I would have just encouraged it to move on.

I'm glad that's the one predator I haven't had issues with! I HATE snakes no matter what breed or type. I recently found out it's actually illegal to kill copperheads and other poisonous snakes in my area. I can't believe that! I have grandsons who like to run around the farm.
My problem so far has been raccoons, foxes and stray or neighborhood dogs. I have seen eagles and hawks take a chicken once in a while and a few years ago I had owl problems but I guess they have moved on. I can't seem to keep ahead of the varmints. I have lost 2 flocks so far in the last year. Right now I'm down to 26 out of 45 I started with in June.

Back
Top Bottom