Copperhead

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by racuda, Aug 8, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I found this tangled up in deer netting outside one of my coops:

[​IMG]

Do you suppose he was after chickens or eggs, or just in the wrong place at the wrong time while on the hunt for mice?

[​IMG]

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I am guessing mice - pit vipers are heavy predators of rodent, although it could eat a young chick.

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Remember that snakes can still bite after they are dead (this one looks as though it has been dead long enough to be safe) just a reminder. There are certainly more around so be careful, perhaps you should consider getting a shotgun if you don't already own one.

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    Quote:didnt know snakes can still bite after they are dead how is that possible? we just shot one in the driveway this morning looks like a garden snake but wasnt acting normal was drowsy and curled into a ball with its head darting out.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Well if that ain't normal for a snake, what is. I've seen them all do that. All of um. Snakes don't get rabies.

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:I dunno - the same way chickens can run around after they're dead? [​IMG] The snakes certainly thrash around, I'd be careful of their heads!

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on what you consider dead and what you consider immediate post traumatic nervous twitches.

8. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    If they have been dead any length of time your safe unless you go poking around in it's mouth.(not recommended)

Unfortunately if you have garter snakes and black snakes king snakes etc etc Your lucky. As they keep the food population in check and will dine on the snakes of poisonous nature. The down side is yes you have to watch to make sure they don't get in with the baby chicks and eggs.

Having snakes on the property isn't always a bad thing. But thanks to the good ole teachings only good snake is a dead snake always prevails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by