Copy Cat Broody?

Sulaco

Hatching
May 26, 2020
Hi, I've got a very Broody Pekin Bantam that has been dilligently sitting on 5 Light Sussex eggs for 10 days now and her best mate has wandered around that garden at loose end to the point that she's joined her on the eggs.
She doesn't share the same broody hackles and grumblings are the main girls but will sh still turn and cover the eggs with the same conviction and does she risk the successful incubation of the eggs.
Thanks
Campbell

I have a pile of chickens and they like to go broody together in the same boxes. We have some that are truly broody and then others we call "pretend broody". The problem with 2 hens in a box is that you will not get proper incubation... so if you want those eggs to hatch, you need to separate them. Whenever I have a true broody and I decide I will let her raise the eggs, I put her is a separate enclosed area where she can't be bothered. In my current coop I built a space above the boxes specifically for my broody hens and their chicks for the first few weeks.

Here's my brooder up top- obviously it doesn't have to be built-in- but the separation is key.

Construction30A.JPG

Construction30B.JPG

You've got a great solution there in a be a beautiful coop. I've now divided their coop area and all was well with the copy cat sitting on an infertile egg so I opened it back up and she gingerly slipped back into the broody's nest pushing her out so separated it is for the duration.

You've got a great solution there in a be a beautiful coop. I've now divided their coop area and all was well with the copy cat sitting on an infertile egg so I opened it back up and she gingerly slipped back into the broody's nest pushing her out so separated it is for the duration.

Nice. That should work. Here's one of my broody's just yesterday!

IMG_4573.jpg

I have a pile of chickens and they like to go broody together in the same boxes. We have some that are truly broody and then others we call "pretend broody". The problem with 2 hens in a box is that you will not get proper incubation... so if you want those eggs to hatch, you need to separate them. Whenever I have a true broody and I decide I will let her raise the eggs, I put her is a separate enclosed area where she can't be bothered. In my current coop I built a space above the boxes specifically for my broody hens and their chicks for the first few weeks.

Here's my brooder up top- obviously it doesn't have to be built-in- but the separation is key.

View attachment 2195942
View attachment 2195943
My hat is off to you. That is some fine craftsmanship. I’m a little more Spartan in my approach I guess LOL! Truly a fine chicken mansion!

My hat is off to you. That is some fine craftsmanship. I’m a little more Spartan in my approach I guess LOL! Truly a fine chicken mansion!

Thanks, I just built it this spring and entered it into the Coop Contest #10! So far it is working great. The most amazing thing about it is I used to have a pretty nice coop, but just nowhere near as spacious- now with all the extra room my chickens go in so early, it's crazy! They used to stay out until just before dark and now they go in a good 30 minutes or more before dark!

Back
Top Bottom