Copy cat playhouse coop

I Dream 0f Chickens *U*

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Broussard, LA
I was inspired by azmotogirl. We have had this playhouse in our backyard for several years, but our kids didn't like to play in it because of spiders (one of the reasons I wanted chickens was to eat our bugs!!!)

This is the front view. The coop should have some shade from this little tree in the morning. There is a fan to help cool things off during the heat of the day.
57979_coop_front.jpg

The lean to looking thing in the back is a cage where one chick is isolated due to feather picking. She can see her sisters in the coop.
57979_coop_side.jpg

I used pancake screws with washers to attach the hardware cloth, until I ran out of washers.
57979_coop_inside.jpg

Also, it will get shade from the fence in the afternoon.

I plan to build a tractor run to put underneath the coop so I can move my girls (
idunno.gif
I hope they are girls, I'm having doubts about 4 of the 5, though) to fresh ground every day or so.

I am sooooooo relieved to have this done!
ya.gif
wee.gif

Thanks!

The weather here can be oppressively hot, which is why I tried to find all the shade I could and put a fan on on the coop. BTW, the fan was attached in a really funky way because I finished putting everything together in the heat of the day. I just wanted to get the fan on and going. It is attached more securely now. When rain is coming it isn't so hot so the fan is not required. I'll just take it down and put it up as needed. Someone mentioned on another thread that you can squirt Great Stuff in the plastic panels for insulation, so I'll give that a try to help keep my girls cool.

Now to get to work on the run!

This is fantastic. I'm now looking for a playhouse to convert when my dog kennel idea gets old...I'll be glad to see what you do for wheels. Very cool-

Last edited:
The canopy is a great idea! Right now the coop is near a tree, but it's not really big yet. I was thinking about painting the roof white, perhaps using Kool Seal if I can find someone with a small amount that I can have or buy.

Back
Top Bottom