Corid (amprolium) Dosage for chickens?

taprock

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Northern L.P. Michigan
I was told by a vet to use Corid for my laying hens for cocci because we can continue to use the eggs. My problem is it doesn't have chicken dosage on it and the vet is gone for the day. Does anyone know the dosage? it is 9.6% Oral Solution.

I found this stuff at my local feed store. Can I use this on my chickens? If so how much do I give them and do I hold the eggs?

Last edited:
I found this stuff at my local feed store. Can I use this on my chickens? If so how much do I give them and do I hold the eggs?
Welcome to BYC!

What do you want to use it for? I think it only treats bacterial infections of the intestines. If you want to treat coccidiosis you need amprolium (Corid, Amprol, AmproMed, etc), a sulfa drug (Sulmet, SMZ-Med 454, Albon, Di-Methox, etc), or Baycox (toltrazuril).

@michellesherbin
Anyway, the correct Corid dose is:
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the 0.024% severe outbreak dose for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days. Since I use the liquid, I use 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

The FDA, FARAD, and the mfg's say this:
"Administer at 0.012% in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 days to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give 0.024%); continue with 0.006%
amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 week to 2 weeks. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time."
Source: http://www.farad.org/vetgram/ProductInfo.asp?byNada=033-165

Percentage20% Powder9.6% Liquid
0.024%1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
0.012%3/4 teaspoon per gallon1 teaspoon per gallon
0.006%1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

What do you want to use it for? I think it only treats bacterial infections of the intestines. If you want to treat coccidiosis you need amprolium (Corid, Amprol, AmproMed, etc) or a sulfa drug (Sulmet, SMZ-Med 454, Albon, Di-Methox, etc).

@michellesherbin

-Kathy
Oh ok thank you. I was going to use it to treat coccidiosis. What would I use this for?

Last edited:
Quote: It *might* be used to treat bacterial infections of the gut, but I don't think that vets prescribe it much. You should probably exchange it for amprolium or a sulfa.

Pictue below from: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/17.pdf

Quote below from:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/neomycin-sulfate-325.html
usa_flag.gif
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Neomycin Sulfate 325 information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.
-Kathy

Glenda Heywood
GIVING CORID TO GROWN HENSOR CHICKS
to use Corid the amount is
9.5 cc= approximately 2 tsp of corrid to gallon of water.
yes this is what to do
I gave this for sulmet or corid

using corid 9.6 solution= 2 tsp per gallon of water
Now what to do and what to feed after medicating for coccidiosis

to make sure they eat the medicated wet mash do this first ans second day of treating and medication in the water 7 days
also I use the wet mash with sulmet or corid
2 tbsp of dry crumbles(chicken mash)
4 tbsp of water
1 tsp of sulmet add to the water

if using corid
2 tbsp of dry mash
4 tbsp of water
add 2 tsp of corid to the water
feed 2 tsp per chicken for a feeding
feed this two mornings to get the medication in the birds
also at same time put the corid or sulmet in the drinking water for 7 days

either the corid amproylium or the sulmet will work but now you have a difficient gut problem with the E.coli
and it needs to have the Vitamin E put in the wet mash probiotic to help the E.coli gut problem
do this

now the
natural probiotic recipe is is:
1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1/4 cup of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good

NOW THE IMPORTANT INGRIEDIENT FOR EACH CHICK FED
and add 1- 1000 mg of Vit E by cutting the end off the vit E capsule for each chick fed this wet mash
putting it in the wet mash
this for each chick your treating
so for each chick use 2 tsp of mixture and 1-1000 mg of Vit E
twice a day for them till the manure is solid

and feed
chicks 2 tsp full and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles

do this twice a day for a week
till the chicks manure is right
then quit the Vit E and selinium make just the wet mash probiotic
then once a week for life

All the while after mdicating the birds use
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of the chicken water so their gut flora wil be regulated
they should have this at least 3-5 days a week
then three days aweek after they are over coccidiosis

Glenda L Heywood Cassville Missouri

Back
Top Bottom