Corid dosage help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beastie, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Beastie

Beastie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Please help! I have four, one week old chicks. Yesterday one of the chicks started breathing hard, holding its wings out, and seemed to have some trouble balancing. Today this chick was very wobbly when we woke up and we came home after being gone a few hours to it on the brink of death. Laying under the heat lamp, tucked up into the t shirt I have in there. The other three seem fine thus far but I'm worried it could be coccidiosis. Should I mix up the corid now and go ahead and treat? Would it hurt to treat chicks this young or if it isn't cocci? If I need to treat what is the proper amount of liquid 9.6% corid? [​IMG]
    This is the sick one.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    No harm in treating for coccidiosis at their age...I do not know the percentage to use in their drinking water...suggest you pm Eggcessive...she may well know the quantity mix..

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid dosage is tsp or 9.6 ml of liquid Corid per gallon, or 1/2 tsp per quart of water for 5-7 days. Give 1 or 2 drops of undiluted Corid by mouth to get a head start. Push the fluids by dipping it's beak into the water while letting it swallow, as often as you can. It could be more of dehydration or stress, but the Corid probably won't hurt. After finishing Corid treat with probiotics and vitamins in the water for several days.

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. Beastie

Mar 11, 2014
    So the one sick chick passed away in my hands this afternoon. It was laying in the corner of the makeshift nest I made for them under the lamp with its wings out to the side. I picked it up and held it for probably 30 minutes by the time I had found the dosage of corid to put in their water it passed in my hands while my hubby washed their wateter. I added the corid to the water for the others to be safe, they seems fine so far, the corid won't hurt them in any way correct? Can/should I give them poly v sol vitamins in their water after treatment? I can add probiotics as well. I have chicken probiotics as well as yogurt in case they don't like the probiotics in theit water (my adult chickens didn't seem fond of them). Also should I treat for five days if they show no symptoms or should I treat for seven just to be safe?

6. Beastie

Mar 11, 2014
    Also, I don't think it was a yolk sac infection since its belly healed up nicely and very quickly, there was no fluid in the abdomen nor any of the other symptoms that I could tell.

7. Beastie

Mar 11, 2014
    Also my brooder was brand new and the chick that passed was the second born so there weren't a bunch of egg shelshells in there.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat the others for 5 days. Seven days would be if one was still acting sick.

9. Beastie

Mar 11, 2014
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by