Corid Dosage... no more confusion :)

Pics

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
I have already googled "corid dosage" on BYC and am very confused.

First of all, most of what I read has refered to liquid Corid.

Here is what I was able to find at my farm store:
Corid/Amprolium, 20% soluble POWDER, 10 oz. pkg.
dosage for cattle: 10oz. pkg to 125 gallons of water

I am dosing 1 sick little banty hen... her name is Betti Confetti. Not even sure it is cocci? but have done everything else for her and this was suggested.

Thanks for any help given. I hate not knowing what to do for a sick bird.
sad.png

Last edited:
There are seven things I do with any chicken that looks sick.

1. Thorough exam which includes putting on a glove, KY Jelly and checking inside the vent for eggs, fluid, masses, cancer, etc. Look everywhere for lumps, swellings, cuts, bruising, odors, bugs, pus, etc.
  2. If bird is stable, dust with proper poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder, DE does not work. Note that I do this *even* if I cannot see any bugs as they can be very easy to miss.
  3. Weigh bird on digital kitchen scale in grams. Weighing in grams makes calculating doses of medicine *much* easier and allow for better tracking of losses and gains.
  4. Again, if bird is stable, it gets wormed with fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) at 50mg/kg by mouth (.5ml per 2.2 pounds).
  5. Place bird in crate, box, bin, etc. on a towel and keep inside where it's warm.
  6. If it is not drinking/eating it gets tube fed fluids, then tube fed fluids and baby bird food mixed with pedialyte or water, but only after hydration status is corrected. Never feed a dehydrated bird!
  7. Inspect poop, poop can give you an idea of how to treat.

-Kathy

4 teaspoons in an ounce both dry measure and very close in actual weight (on my scale).

4 divided by 10 = .4 or 4/10... sooo... that means a little less than 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon?

This is as close as I can get to a dosage of the powder Corid.

Have I thought this through well? If I don't hear from anyone else on her I guess this is what I will try.

If you decide to treat with amprolium these are the amounts recommended by the mfg and the FDA.
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams).
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams).
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams).
The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."
And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

This link has more info and the math done to come up with the dosing numbers:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Last edited:
What happens if I premix all my Corid and water and keep it in empty milk jugs until I'm ready to use it?

We are leaving on vacation soon, but just started a round of Corid for all my birds due to one chick's behavior.  I'm wondering if I can premix enough for a 2-3 days so the person taking care of my animals will not need to worry about doing it herself.   
I feel like what I would do is put out jugs or water with baggies of premeasured corid taped to them and a funnel for filling for the caretaker to use. Personally I would worry about it being premixed... But I'm
Not sure why~ I really don't know how it keeps, I replace daily when I use it though so I worry about freshness or settling it something, someone else might have other thoughts though.

If you have the liquid you can give her 0.1 ml per pound, so if she weighs 5 pounds, give her 0.5 ml (1/2 ml or 1/2 cc). Do this in addition to her medicated water for 1-3 days.

I'm so glad you posted. I just bought a bag and was going to ask the same question.

By the way, I still have a bottle of corid. If I remember correctly is the dose for the liquid 2 tsp a gallon? Glad I found the powder, it is alot cheaper.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom