Corid questions

Leo1

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Saco, Maine
I have liquid corid. After I've mixed it up, do I need to toss it after 3 days and make fresh? Or is it OK to use thru the whole treatment.
Also, one of the 9.5 week pullets us on day 4 of treatment. She seems to be feeling great, but is still having diarrhea. Normal color, actual poo in the diarrhea. Should I still stop at 5 days or go until the diarrhea stops? They never had any blood, just diarrhea and fluffed up poopy feeling chickens.
Weird thing, I think my 8.5 year old girl has it too and I can't think of any outside exposure. The chicks have been with her for over 7 weeks and no one's been outside. I haven't been near any other chickens. I don't know, just weird. Hopefully, that's what's going on with the old lady and not something else! Thought the chicks got it from digging around in a plant pot, but that doesn't explain the older girl. I would think, if they got it from her, they would have had symptoms weeks ago. Again, just odd and bugging me because I hate unanswered questions.
Thanks!

Corid liquid mixed with water in a jug is stable for the whole time, but we usually recommend that you change your waterer daily. Dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml per gallon of water. That is to prevent the chickens from getting more of the coccidia from waterers since they poop everywhere including the waterers. So mix up about what they will take in a day’s time, or keep the mixture in the fridge and use as needed. Treat everyone for 5 days and as long as 7. For those who are really weak or sick they can be treated with 1/3 of the dose for another 5 days. Offer probiotics afterward. Chickens can carry some coccidia in their guts, but how much they ingest will affect how sick they become.

I have liquid corid. After I've mixed it up, do I need to toss it after 3 days and make fresh? Or is it OK to use thru the whole treatment.
Also, one of the 9.5 week pullets us on day 4 of treatment. She seems to be feeling great, but is still having diarrhea. Normal color, actual poo in the diarrhea. Should I still stop at 5 days or go until the diarrhea stops? They never had any blood, just diarrhea and fluffed up poopy feeling chickens.
Weird thing, I think my 8.5 year old girl has it too and I can't think of any outside exposure.
The chicks have been with her for over 7 weeks and no one's been outside. I haven't been near any other chickens. I don't know, just weird. Hopefully, that's what's going on with the old lady and not something else! Thought the chicks got it from digging around in a plant pot, but that doesn't explain the older girl. I would think, if they got it from her, they would have had symptoms weeks ago. Again, just odd and bugging me because I hate unanswered questions.
Thanks!

Personally, I would mix fresh daily. You can always just make a 1/2 gallon or less at a time.
I would continue at outbreak dosage for 5-7 days, then follow up for another 5-7 days as shown below.

If you have photos of the poop, that may be helpful.
You have all your chickens inside?
Coccidia are found in poop and in soil. It thrives in warm moist environments, so keeping water spills cleaned up and bedding dry will help as well.
1579967646884.png

Yeah, I really don't quite get how they caught it, especially, the older one. I'm dosing them individually by mouth once a day, not in their water. I have the liquid version not the powder.

Yeah, I really don't quite get how they caught it, especially, the older one. I'm dosing them individually by mouth once a day, not in their water. I have the liquid version not the powder.
The oral drench is in addition to making the mixed Corid water available as the only source of drinking water.
The chicks need to be drinking Corid water during the treatment period too.

You can give the the oral dose daily for up to three days at a dose of .1ml per pound of body weight, but the medicated water needs to be available also, all the time during treatment and needs to be the only water they have access to. By only dosing them orally once a day they may be getting under dosed. Use the chart given above for mixing the water, the liquid is pretty easy, so I just make daily when I clean the waterers. Coccidia can be carried in on shoes, clothing, feeders, waterers, buckets, all sorts of things, so it's very hard to say how it may have gotten there, if it's coccidiosis that you are dealing with. As suggested before, if you have any pictures of your set up, it might help with suggestions. Were these chicks hatched by the older hen with them?

X3 on having your chickens drink the Corid water throughout the whole day. Giving it to them once a day will not treat for coccidiosis. The once a day drench is to add to the dosage they get in their drinking water.

Cocci isn't something that chickens "catch" like a respiratory infection. The protozoa that cause the bloody diarrhea are always present in soil and there are at least 9 varieties of them. Chickens will always have them in their gut, similar to how we have E. coli in our systems. The chickens over time build up an immunity to the protozoa as they're exposed to them, so they don't cause symptoms. When bringing in new chickens or soil from another place or carried in by wild animals, it can introduce an additional variety of the protozoa to chickens to which they then need time to build immunity.

Corid starves the protozoa of Vit B, preventing it from reproducing (the overpopulation is what causes problems for the chicken, because the protozoa get in the wrong place and burrow in the intestinal walls which causes bleeding), and thereby giving the chicken time to build immunity. The immunity is what keeps the protozoa numbers in check in a healthy chicken.

Your children cannot catch cocci from chickens.

Are you sure that your chickens have diarrhea? It is common to confuse a normal cecal poop with diarrhea. Can you post pictures? Cocci bloody diarrhea is usually not normal poop colored. It is a bright splash of red liquid. But cecal poops can be tan colored, watery and they smell awful.

The daily dose is working. All the littles are back to 100% and got there very quickly. They were all mostly better in less the 12 hours, except one took a couple days; shes the one still having diarrhea, but she's 100% otherwise. Great attitude, eating great, crop emptying fully. I guess I can add it to their water for the next couple days, but more than that and they are beyond 7 days of treatment....and the cat might drink it. I followed the dosing instructions on the bottle and it was close to .3 ml/lb and says to give it for 5 days.
Criticalicious:I know where cocci is found. They still need to be exposed, so if the older hen is presenting(at the same time as the littles) it must have come in from outside. She'd be immune to anything already on property, which is really all I was saying. I get that other factors could cause it to overgrow suddenly, but it would be one giant coincidence for that to happen the same time the littles got sick. And, yes, I know what diarrhea and Cecal poo look like, having an 8 year old hen would indicate I've been around chickens for awhile. Cocci does not always present with blood, expecially if you catch it at the first signs.
Their living situation isn't the problem and it's neither warm nor humid, which is part of the weirdness.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom