Corid, sulfa, wazine, valbazen help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jjdesmo11, Oct 23, 2018.

1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sick birds wear me out too. :hugs. Did you give this one Valbazen yet?

Melky and Jjdesmo11 like this.
  2. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    This is all of them eating happily yesterday. Bella, the sick one likes to stand in the bowl and eat I’m due to redose after wazine tx on Sunday but decided to go ahead and give valbazen to Bella today I did oral dose 0.25ml Because she’s about 2.6lbs AD0FCD07-F54A-4F09-8A5C-6AFA24B1930E.jpeg

3. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I would take them whoever is sick or was to vet. They can do fecal tests. Ask before go to provide sufficient sample. Up to you though but it would be nice to know what you are treating at this point.

ChickenCanoe and Jjdesmo11 like this.
  4. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Anyone sick should be isolated with separate food/water grit and OS.

Jjdesmo11 likes this.
  5. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Crowing

Feb 15, 2012
    Its up to you to take to vet, I never wanted to fork up the money for chickens and always figured out the problem. With you not knowing whats going on after all these treatments you might decide otherwise.

Get the feeder off the ground ASAP, if they can step in it they are transferring worms/cocci/anything else super fast by putting it in the food. That could be the main reason why they keep getting sick.

Always use a feeder and waterer thats off the ground and has no way of being stepped in. Even if you fixed the problem and they stepped into something that was in the ground and put it in the food they could get sick again.

**And always isolate any sick chickens until you are fully confident they are no longer ill.

Jjdesmo11 and Melky like this.
  6. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    We have a rule of thumb on feeders and waterers at head height not butt or risk infecting supply and reinfecting self.

FlyingNunFarm and Cayuga momma like this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have thrown a lot of medications at them, so I would be sure and give them some probios powder in their water or probiotics in their food. Some feeds already have probiotics, although I don’t know if they are good enough, since they sometimes have only one type. Vitamins may also be good to get their gut health back to normal.

Sulfa antibiotics can be hard on the liver and kidneys. Hopefully, they will start acting more normal. In the future many vets can test for coccidiosis and worms, and what types if you get some fresh droppings checked. There is also a commercial fecal test that you can get on Amazon to mail in:
    https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    The large roundworms are the root cause of ALL the problems your birds were showing. Their feces is toxic to birds. The wazine flushed the worms out. Provide Probios powder in the feed or buttermilk mixed in their feed for a several days and they'll be back to normal in no time. I prefer buttermilk, it's cheaper than Probios.
    Worm eggs are in and on your soil now and will be picked up by your birds. I recommend
    worming your birds monthly with the valbazen to break the worms lifecycle.

9. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Hey dawg would bloody stool be another side affect of all these meds and no probiotics? She had bloody stool this morning. I feed fermented feed and will put some rooster booster in the food. I called the vet this morning to make an apt because I thought it was coccidiosis again. I’m hoping adding probiotics will help. Can anyone else weigh in? Pictures of poop this morning @casportpony

Attached Files:

10. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have her inside in a cage. Feeding fermented feed with added Greek yogurt, rice, kaytee exact ( to thicken up) and added rooster booster “ vitamins& electrolytes w lacto bacillus” and added the rooster booster to water. I would like to run out to get buttermilk and cottage cheese once my baby wakes up. My apt with the vet is early tomorrow. Called a few local vets and they won’t do a fecal on a chicken. Would like to avoid driving to the vet over an hr away with 2 kids. Could the blood just be from the wormload? What else to look for? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: