Corid, sulfa, wazine, valbazen help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jjdesmo11, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Dead so the Cecal morning poops are primarily bloody. So does that indicate coccidiosis over something else ?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info I actually have contacted them and planned to send a bird I had die suddenly to them. I’d have to pack on ice and ship in a cooler overnight shipping. Apparently you can’t buy dry ice without a permit or something. So I drove all around town (baby and toddler with me) trying to send my dead bird to the state lab and that is absolutely the last thing I’ll ever do again. I ended up finding a vet an hr away that did a necropsy. They couldn’t do tissue samples and the necropsy was normal. This bird isn’t in the same flock as the current sick bird. Thanks for the info. Have you sent a bird to a state lab before? Not an easy task unless you live close.

3. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If it's blood cecal poop then I think it's coccidiosis. When you gave the sulfa, how did you give it?

Jjdesmo11 likes this.
  4. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    I gave orally to the one that didn’t make it the first day, then separated them both and put in the water for 3 days then gave orally to the one who I’m treating now the last 3 days so I could put her back with the flock. If I see bloody poop tomorrow am should I start then? This morning was horrible! Why hasn’t corid worked in the past? Nothing else has changed since my last corid tx as in run location, coop, new birds etc. just finding out they had worms. I’m beyond frustrated with it. She’s 5 months old. Feels like she should have gotten used to it at this point right?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good for you. I have, several times. In my experience a state lab is cheaper and more comprehensive than a vet. They will run cultures on all organs and parts. My closest one
    is 5 hours round trip and I drove the first two to the vet school. Once was at midnight on a Saturday. They always have someone on call to open up. Then I found out that they'll send a FedEx label for shipping. You don't need a cooler. I use a small box, line it with pieces of 1" Styrofoam insulation and add a freezer pack.
    They have always gotten to the bottom of the problem. Luckily there has never been any virulent disease. Most of the time it was heart attack or cancer.

Jjdesmo11, Eggcessive and casportpony like this.
  6. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    That’s awesome! Yeah I’ll definitely retain that information for the future. I think they are way more comprehensive than the vet. I had a welsummer that looked puffed and died the next day. So that morning I tired to get her sent off. Was a learning experience for sure!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    We eat eggs after worming, still here after all these years. I dont recommend it if someone suspects they might have a reaction to the residue in the eggs, and not selling eggs.
    I rotate wormers every now and then; safeguard, valbazen, pyrantel pamoate, wazine.

FunOnABun likes this.
  8. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    @dawg53 I need your opinion since you are the worm expert. Could a bad wormload cause bloody cecal poop? I’m not sure I want to treat again with corid. But wait and give probiotics and some tlc. And it’s torture to both of us to keep her caged for 5 days when she’s acting fairly normal haha. But I guess it beats orally dosing daily.

9. FunOnABun

FunOnABun Songster

To be clear, not questioning your methods, just genuinely curious. One day I might be brave enough to eat eggs right after deworming, but today is not that day. ;)

dawg53 likes this.
  10. FunOnABun

FunOnABun Songster

You're getting lots of good advice here, Jjdesmo11, but I just wanted to add that the worms in the photo on your post #47 look like cecal worms to me...I recently used Safeguard liquid goat dewormer (fenbendazole) on my birds to treat a light load after confirming worm type with a fecal float test.

Jjdesmo11 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: