Cormeal Mush

My recipe is at home (I"m at work) I know that we use Cornmeal, water & salt..cook until thick, spread in a greased 9" x 13" casserole dish, chill in fridge, then slice and fry. I'll get the ingredient measurements when I get home.
tongue.png

My dad makes the BEST mush. He goes by the recipe on the box of cornmeal except, While you have the cornmeal cooking on the stove, he adds honey and franks hot sauce. I don't have measurements because he just adds and tastes. I know it sounds funny adding honey and hot sauce but it's wonderful! Also while you are stirring and cooking, add some flour(this helps it to brown when you fry it) and some milk. Pour finished product in a bread pan and let set up. Slice, lightly flour and fry. You can tell if you didn't put enough flour into it if it breaks up while your frying it. It took me a couple of times making it to get it right. I guess I need to do some measuring next time I make it. But trust me..It is good!

I haven't had cornmeal mush since I was a little kid! Loved it then and I bet I'll love it now. DH might even like it. He loves cornbread! LOL

I'll be watching for a recipe too!

My Daddy's Cornmeal Mush
big_smile.png

1 cup cornmeal
4 cups water
1tsp salt
honey
hot sauce
flour
milk

Bring to a boil 3 c water. Meanwhile, stir cornmeal into remaining 1c water. Add salt. When water comes to a rolling boil, stir in cornmeal mixture. Turn burner to low. Cook mixture for 5 mins stirring constantly. Stir in about 4 heaping Tbsp honey and about 4 good shakes of hot sauce. (This is where I start tasting and adding and tasting and adding.) Keep this mixture stirring. The bottom will burn if your not careful. After you have the taste down, add about 1/2 c sifted flour to this mix alittle at a time. Then add a splash or 2 of milk. (Any milk will do. All I had today was vanilla soymilk and it worked fine.)Cook for a couple of minutes more then turn out into a bread pan sprayed with pam. Let cool alittle then cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge. When it's completely cool, turn out, slice,lightly flour and fry in skillet with alittle grease.
Now if this breaks up when your slicing it up, it means you need to add more flour to your mixture when your cooking it. I am kinda guessing on the amount of flour,honey,hotsauce and milk. I'm sorry this recipe is as vague as it is but believe me, it's worth the time to tweek it and make it your own. It took me several times of making it myself before I got it down and I still mess up sometimes on how much flour to put in. Fried in the morning with some maple syrup.....Yum!
droolin.gif

My Italian Dad made this.

I suppose every culture has a cheap, filling vegetarian dish, like Cuban red beans and rice. Beans and grains make a complete protein.

My Dad made "mush and beans." Would it sound more Continental to say "polenta and legumes?"

Anyway, cook mush/polenta as usual. In a separate pan, soften some onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Use good oil because it contributes to the flavor. Add a couple of cans of cannellini beans. You could certainly use any bean you like, canned or dried. I like lots of black pepper.

Serve mush/polenta with the beans on the side. A nice salad or some greens cooked in olive oil and garlic (can you ever have too much garlic?) makes a nice side.

You could sprinkle some grated romano on top if you like. Red pepper flakes are a necessity for me.

This is a real comfort food in our family. My kids, ages 24 to 30, still love this. Hope you enjoy it, too.

Back
Top Bottom