corn for fodder.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmalI, Jan 6, 2014.

1. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    Can I use corn for fodder?

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    Well usually barley or wheat is the most common fodder but if it sprouts you should be able to grow it as fodder. It may require a longer soak time because it is such a large seed. I say go for it! Start with a small amount maybe 1/2 cup and soak for 12 hours. You should to start to see something emerge from the seed 8 to 12 hours after you remove the seeds from the soak. If you don't see anything try soaking another batch for a longer period.
    Let me know how it works out for you.

3. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    Ok, and then how much and how often do I water it, or does the seed soak up enough water to sustain itself?

4. fintuckyfarms

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    You need to rinse it twice a day with cool not cold water, just plain water. Sprouts do not need fertilizer. I put mine in the sink and fill the container then let it drain through several small holes I drilled in one end of the container. If I am running late I sometimes just mist them with a spray bottle but only once a day. They need the film rinsed off that is created with the sprouting process or you will get fungus or mold. I will add a few Picts later tonight. I've had so many questions I am making a PowerPoint and will post it on my FB page tonight or tomorrow. fintucky farms future homestead or Tri-city hydroponic gardeners.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    ok,thanks alot.

6. fintuckyfarms

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    Not gonna get it done tonight but soon. I have a sick chick and my dog has surgery in the morning.

7. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by