Corn, oats, and barley?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 27, 2013.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I was given a new bag of corn, oats and barley feed. I know corn is not the best for ducks, but seems to me I heard they couldn't eat barley unless it was sprouted?

2. Kymarose

Kymarose Out Of The Brooder

I feed mine (chickens, ducks and geese) a mix of 5 grains. corn, barley, oats, wheat and millet. Five grain scratch I guess it's called. They seem to love it and do well. They are free range, so get plenty of grass, grass roots, bugs, worms, even little frogs. I used to feed layena and a little scratch to go with it. But the feed bill was getting way to high... so reduced to just the 5 grain scratch. If they were penned all day, they would need more protein. I tell them now.. "get your own protein". [​IMG] I tell my barn cats that, ... their pretty good little mousers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My ducks have access to whole corn BUT i also feed a complete feed, and they free range. Forage quality varies by seasons here, so i ensure they have complete feed to compliment that. I also have free choice oyster shell out for my ladies.

Scratch is not a complete feed and is simply a compliment to a complete feed and foraging and shouldn't comprise the bulk of their diet.

I haven't heard that about barely, but do you have access to storey's guide to ducks? he has good info in there on feeds and types of grains.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by