Corn ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ddurlak, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Ddurlak

Ddurlak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    Land O Lakes, Florida
    My babies are 6 weeks old now and outside in the coop. We have fresh sweet corn in the garden that is ready to pick. Is it safe to give the girls fresh sweet corn and other scraps or should we stick to the grower feed for now? They do have grit available and they are getting plenty of bugs now.
    [​IMG]

See my page for updated pics!
    David

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Treats should be fine. Just don't forget to keep giving them their grower feed! [​IMG]

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have been giving my 6wk old chicks a little fresh sweet corn and they love it. Not too much, just a little a couple of times a week. They mainly eat their chick food, but enjoy a few snacks. They absolutely love yogurt and oatmeal flakes. My strawberries are almost over, but they were popular as well. Have fun, they are such a hoot to watch when they are getting a little something different.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    NEVER give fresh sweet corn to chickens!

GIVE IT TO ME! The chickens can have the cobs once I'm done! [​IMG]

They'll love it, just remember it's only as a treat.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I am jealous that you have corn already. We don't usually get it in this area until mid-August. With the cold wet spring we have had it may be latter this year. I am afraid much of my seeds may be rotting in the ground. I have 7 30' rows and only a few plants have started to emerge so far. It looks like we may finally have some warmer weather coming and so maybe they will germinate. If not, I will likely be replanting it (and a few other crops) in a week or so.

6. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    We don't have sweet corn this early yet, either, but I was at the grocery earlier this week and sweet corn was on sale for .25 an ear. I got four, to divide between my layers and the meaties(3 weeks old). They do love it! When our corn is ready, I don't give them fresh ears, either, until it's too old for me to want...they get the cobs from the fresh ones, then the old ears...even better if there's a corn worm or two in it!

Just a note - take the husks off, as the outer leaves in particular are too fibrous and can lead to crop impaction.

8. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    My chickens love fresh corn and boiled eggs were a big hit to. [​IMG]
    oh and cheerios

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by