Corn ok?

Ddurlak

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Land O Lakes, Florida
My babies are 6 weeks old now and outside in the coop. We have fresh sweet corn in the garden that is ready to pick. Is it safe to give the girls fresh sweet corn and other scraps or should we stick to the grower feed for now? They do have grit available and they are getting plenty of bugs now.
idunno.gif

See my page for updated pics!
David

I have been giving my 6wk old chicks a little fresh sweet corn and they love it. Not too much, just a little a couple of times a week. They mainly eat their chick food, but enjoy a few snacks. They absolutely love yogurt and oatmeal flakes. My strawberries are almost over, but they were popular as well. Have fun, they are such a hoot to watch when they are getting a little something different.

NEVER give fresh sweet corn to chickens!

GIVE IT TO ME! The chickens can have the cobs once I'm done!
wink.png

They'll love it, just remember it's only as a treat.

I am jealous that you have corn already. We don't usually get it in this area until mid-August. With the cold wet spring we have had it may be latter this year. I am afraid much of my seeds may be rotting in the ground. I have 7 30' rows and only a few plants have started to emerge so far. It looks like we may finally have some warmer weather coming and so maybe they will germinate. If not, I will likely be replanting it (and a few other crops) in a week or so.

We don't have sweet corn this early yet, either, but I was at the grocery earlier this week and sweet corn was on sale for .25 an ear. I got four, to divide between my layers and the meaties(3 weeks old). They do love it! When our corn is ready, I don't give them fresh ears, either, until it's too old for me to want...they get the cobs from the fresh ones, then the old ears...even better if there's a corn worm or two in it!

Just a note - take the husks off, as the outer leaves in particular are too fibrous and can lead to crop impaction.

Back
Top Bottom