Corn

I am currently using IFA Poultry Bird Scratch #1242. The tag and the website both don't say what is in it.

What are higher protein things I could give my chickens? Around here all of the feed has low protein.

I am currently using IFA Poultry Bird Scratch #1242. The tag and the website both don't say what is in it.

What are higher protein things I could give my chickens?  Around here all of the feed has low protein.

Time to do some actual thinking. What do your wild birds eat during very coldest part of winter. Look into protein content of those items. Compare that to route you are pursuing.

We just have a bunch of starlings around here in the winter. And they will eat anything and everything.

Try giving them a range of items like I described a few post back. They will not target high protein items unless they are also high energy. I was trying to be tactful in explaining some observations that pertain directly to your interest involving meeting energy needs for cold stressed birds.

I am currently using IFA Poultry Bird Scratch #1242. The tag and the website both don't say what is in it.

What are higher protein things I could give my chickens?  Around here all of the feed has low protein.

I find it real hard to believe you can't find an 18% (or higher) feed locally at any feed stores, as it's an industry standard all purpose poultry feed or meat bird feed... And in areas where game birds or turkeys are raised you should easily be able to source an even higher protein feed...

If nothing else someone has to carry higher protein chick starter/grower in your area?

$ for $ you can't really supplement the protein effectively for what it cost to simply get the higher protein feed initially...

I supplement my peafowl with cat food, only because the local feed store doesn't stock any high enough feeds for them and it's convenient... But the feed they do stock is plenty high enough protein to give chickens a boost, up to 22% I believe, I use 18% All Flock... Cat food isn't a perfect supplement though as it has excess salt and other things...

Alright.

Well I can only find 18%(or was it 16% I can't remember) feed. I still have a lot to learn about feed.

I could probably find some of that.

Last edited:
I think it seems a bit sad that Leghorn feels they have to leave this conversation as everyones advice is valuable, especially to beginners like me. I don't think anyone should be expected to source their reading, this is a friendly forum where advice and experience are supposed to be believed. I don't think anyone is being dishonest about what they have read, I certainly hope I am not expected to trek back to the Library and get all the numerous amounts of books out I have read to quote on here!! I expect to be believed (even though I am a beginner!!)

Nell, first of all Welcome!!!

Leghorn should not be attacked over her posts. She has done research. I too think it's sad when people just think it's more important to bash someone instead of add to the conversation with their own ideas. I am tired of it too.

Nell, most of us are smart and funny and don't care if someone has a different opinion. Do be a member, and in time you'll find members that you like posting (chatting) with.

Your kids can hug all the chickens they want! It's good therapy for me, anyway!

Quote:
I've always found forums to be to post ones reply to the thread starter. If someone likes or dislikes my posts that's okay. I feel others can have a choice of who's opinion they want to accept. I would hope that one can post their opinion without BASHING anyone else. This is not a contest. If 25 people post their opinion on corn, then the thread starter has 25 answers to choose from. If one does not like someone's post, move on and ignore it. One really shouldn't be telling anyone their advice is wrong , unresearched, or you read from poor sources, etc. It's not anyone's place here to bash someone's reply.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom