Cornish cross 5 weeks

Malissa

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
First time for cornish cross. We have 4. They are now 5 weeks. Just moved them outside last night as the hubs finished their A frame pen. There is an under cover section and they all cuddled under last night after dark. I also have 2 same aged Tetra Tints in with them....they were brooded together for afew weeks in the beginning and they all get along great. Plus they are on the same food (my layers are MEANIES....so will keep the Tetras in this pen until they lay probably in June/July and hope for a smooth transition when they are full grown). SO..afew questions. I have only been feeding once a day....the amount in the small chick feeder. The X's crops get very large when they eat so I only limit to one feeding a day now as I had been filling twice a day prior . I want to butcher the weekend of May 10th. (I think we have 2 males/2 females), so I don't want any issues with the males and figure it best to not over feed at this point. THeir bodies are as large as my 2 yr old heritage breeds! They don't seem like good foragers, but they are on grass now so figure they will supplement as needed...make them work for it. First off.....we are getting cold temps tonight...low of 29. Should I put them back in their brooders for the night in the garage or do you think they will be ok. They are fully feathered and the meaties seem to have a cranking metabolism. The Tetras huddle with them so figure their furnaces will keep them warm. The shelter is open on the inside with walls on 3 sides. I could tarp off perhaps to block wind if that would help. Could possibly put a heat lamp in for the night too. What are you PA folks doing for the cold night? and do you think I will be ok limited food like I do until butchering time? THey seem healthy and active so hoping they stay that way! Thanks! The Pallet Palace....cost was about $20 after scavenging FREE pallets! WHOOT! THe last door was finished last night after this pic. We will paint it better after these guys move to the freezer. :) hahaha

I think they'll be fine down to 29. They'll huddle at night. Having only been outside a day, they may not be fully acclimated so a heat lamp tonight might not hurt for the night.

IMHO, once a day feeding my not be enough. They tend to gorge themselves when they go a long time without food. They may get bored and pick on each other too. They'll also eat a lot of their own feces when they get hungry which can lead to coccidiosis.

Good job on the palace.

Last edited:
My cornish x voracious raptor pigs are 5 weeks, moved them to tractor full time over the weekend. Put feed upstairs and on ramp to get them accustomed to loft, worked fine. Yesterday went from 65 at 6 am to 35 this am with 20 mph wind and rain, they were fine. Feeding them 3 times a day on the ground with a 16 oz cup. Scratching and behaving like normal chickens now. I did place heat lamp aimed toward stairs, but they are not huddled by it, couldn't keep inside brooder anymore because they kept attacking the 1 gallon waterer and knocking it over

Do you think 1/2 the amount in am and 1/2 in PM is good? I also feel bad because the tetras are in there, but they don't eat alot compared to the meaties and they are excellent little foragers already so I think they will be ok. I want to go out now and give them something but it's is pouring like crazy! Want to wait until it lets up a bit! I am happy they are out of the brooder because they would spill their food and water and I had to fix/refill twice a day anyway. I bought that 5 gal waterer at an antique store (presumably selling it for those country type folks to use as a decoration!)...I'm like, oh I plan on using this for my chickens! hahaha My parents found the trough at a farmers market and they took to it right away.

Do you think 1/2 the amount in am and 1/2 in PM is good? I also feel bad because the tetras are in there, but they don't eat alot compared to the meaties and they are excellent little foragers already so I think they will be ok. I want to go out now and give them something but it's is pouring like crazy! Want to wait until it lets up a bit! I am happy they are out of the brooder because they would spill their food and water and I had to fix/refill twice a day anyway. I bought that 5 gal waterer at an antique store (presumably selling it for those country type folks to use as a decoration!)...I'm like, oh I plan on using this for my chickens! hahaha My parents found the trough at a farmers market and they took to it right away.

Make sure the tetras get their share. That's the trouble with having them with the hungry little meaties. They'll hog it all. You might have to put another dish down for them. Sounds like good buys. Love it.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom