Cornish Cross and Eggs?

antiqsolo

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2016
First off, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if it's not, then please redirect me. Secondly, boy oh boy, am I confused..

Last week I worked at a poultry processing plant (myriad of reasons... need money because we're moving, and I wanted to see exactly what I was feeding my family.. let me tell you, we're never eating commercial chicken again). Something I found oddly confusing was the number of hens, Cornish Cross, plopping out shell-less eggs. I had thought that the Cross was, well, a cross- one that rarely made it to egg production age largely due to its inevitability to keel over due to its monstrous size and how quickly it grows.

The plant manager not only told me that these birds were twelve weeks old, but that they start laying at eight weeks! Surely he can't be right... can he? Does their rapid growth enable them to lay eggs sooner, or (more likely) does he not know what he's talking about?

Thanks so much for any information anyone can provide!
barnie.gif

Well, that's just interesting! I used to read a blog where the lady raised cornish crosses. Apparently if you don't stuff feed into them they can lice longer without all of the typical problems and she said some of them did lay eggs. I have no idea what age though.
My other thought is that maybe all hen start to work on eggs internally a couple of weeks before they lay? I have no idea,I've never butchered one thst young.
Ps. Please don't ever feel like you need to justify taking paid employment to feed your family.
1f60a.png

welcome-byc.gif

Processing plant--so you were butchering birds? Not live birds on the ground?

don't suppose you have pics of these "eggs"?

My understanding is factory farmed CX are butchered at 8 weeks, not 12. And I've raised several batches of CX for my own use. I've never had a pullet start laying eggs, and I've let some of them go to about 12 weeks.

I let a few Red Ranger hens go to 16 weeks and found eggs inside them, all lined up from large to teeny when I butchered them. Is that what you mean?

No hen lays at 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom