Cornish Cross Broilers: when to go outside?

Farmerbetsy

Songster
14 Years
Oct 13, 2007
We are trying broilers for the first time. It's fascinating to watch how fast they grow! They are in our spare bathtub and it's a disgusting effort to keep it clean as they tip over their water three times a day. I'm changing it out for a large, bottom heavy waterer right now, which means they'll have even less space in the tub. There are three of them in a standard claw foot tub. We are going to put them in a 3X8 chicken tractor with a heat lamp. They are 22 days old. They are partially feathered. When is it too soon for Cornish Cross to go outside? our "chicken book" says to "raise them inside their whole lives." But I don't know if that means, in an enclosed coop, or not to let them free range. They are so huge they are like mutants!! thanks, Betsy

Mine are going in the tractor as soon as it's built. I'll have a lamp on them and put them back in the brooder at night where it'll be warmer.

They've been on the back porch in the brooder for a week or so now, and they're about four weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom