Cornish cross chicks arriving next week

just as a side note. they have consumed 1.75 pounds of feed and 2 quarts of water in 24 hours that averages out to 1.1 ounces per chick. which is a third of an ounce more than the chart provided by welp. The chart states in the first 7 days they would consume on average 5.36 ounces each for the total of those 7 days. If they continue at the rate they are now, that would be 7.7 ounces consumed each for those same 7 days.

just as a side note. they have consumed 1.75 pounds of feed and 2 quarts of water in 24 hours that averages out to 1.1 ounces per chick. which is a third of an ounce more than the chart provided by welp. The chart states in the first 7 days they would consume on average 5.36 ounces each for the total of those 7 days. If they continue at the rate they are now, that would be 7.7 ounces consumed each for those same 7 days.
Are you including any wasted feed in the equation?

It might just be poorer feed conversion than advertised too

Are you including any wasted feed in the equation?

It might just be poorer feed conversion than advertised too

So far, they have not wasted any feed. I found no feed around the bowls. That might be because they are wide enough that they are in the feed and eating, not from the outside. I'm sure this will change. Until I weigh them on day 7, I won't know the feed conversion. I just thought it was interesting that they had gone through so much feed in 24 hours. the true story will be when I weigh them on day 7 and do the conversions

Okay, the chicks are now 7 days old. But have only been on feed for 5 days. and from this point on all weights and feed consumed will be on their hatch day not days of being fed. So every Tuesday I'll update the chart.

Another note. I gave the chicks the broiler vitamin supplement I was sent by the hatchery in their water for 4 days. I also have had them on full 24 feed and light which ends at 7 pm tonight. from tonight on, they will get natural light and feed from 7 am to 7 pm.

I also am playing around with the idea of giving them broiler vitamin supplement once a week. Still undecided on that one.
meat chickens november 2019 w2.jpg

I have been thinking about my results that I posted yesterday. because it seems like it is almost a 1:1 feed conversion which I think is misleading.

I think the chicks arrives severely dehydrated and a good portion of that weight gain is due to re-hydration after weighing.

And one of the things I was thinking about as I weighed the chicks after 5 days of feed and 7 days since hatch, is the broiler feed chart assumes that feed and water is given on day 1 of hatch. After all the chart was made for and by major broiler producers. So they are offered feed and water from day 1. And I know from hatching my own chicks that even though they don't need to, they will eat and drink within hours of hatching as I have observed it. So while a good guide to see how you compare to the major producers, it is flawed for the smaller producer that has to have chicks shipped in so you don't even receive them until they are post hatch by 2 -3 days.

the research I have been doing states that the first 7 days in a meat chicks life is critical for the long term end weight being produced. That while genetically they can reach such and such a weight, if during the first 7 days not the correct nutrition and supplements being given can cause them to never being able to reach their genetic possible weight. And since the study was geared towards big meat producers, only went through 60 days. So it once again brings into doubt if it is truly true. on the one hand from a big broiler producer it is, on the other from the small producer that wants to raise meat for their family, it might not be as we can be more patient and give them more time to bring their weight up to an acceptable weight for harvest.

Now, I'm rambling as I have been up since 1 am when the storm blew through and woke me up.

I have been thinking about my results that I posted yesterday. because it seems like it is almost a 1:1 feed conversion which I think is misleading.

I think the chicks arrives severely dehydrated and a good portion of that weight gain is due to re-hydration after weighing.

And one of the things I was thinking about as I weighed the chicks after 5 days of feed and 7 days since hatch, is the broiler feed chart assumes that feed and water is given on day 1 of hatch. After all the chart was made for and by major broiler producers. So they are offered feed and water from day 1. And I know from hatching my own chicks that even though they don't need to, they will eat and drink within hours of hatching as I have observed it. So while a good guide to see how you compare to the major producers, it is flawed for the smaller producer that has to have chicks shipped in so you don't even receive them until they are post hatch by 2 -3 days.

the research I have been doing states that the first 7 days in a meat chicks life is critical for the long term end weight being produced. That while genetically they can reach such and such a weight, if during the first 7 days not the correct nutrition and supplements being given can cause them to never being able to reach their genetic possible weight. And since the study was geared towards big meat producers, only went through 60 days. So it once again brings into doubt if it is truly true. on the one hand from a big broiler producer it is, on the other from the small producer that wants to raise meat for their family, it might not be as we can be more patient and give them more time to bring their weight up to an acceptable weight for harvest.

Now, I'm rambling as I have been up since 1 am when the storm blew through and woke me up.

very interesting! Great work. Interesting that those first few days are critical for growth, but it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom