Cornish Cross or Leghorns?

Hope you're not terribly attached to these chickens. Since they are so large and starting to experience decreased quality of life, processing them is (IMO) the humane thing to do. Or you can wait for them to die of natural causes, but heart attacks at any age are common, also leg problems (their legs stop working to hold up their bodies), and if they fall on their backs, sometimes they can't get up. Also, ascites is another common complaint with these guys. With feed restrictions and lots of exercise, some live for about a year, maybe 1.5 yrs. But since yours are already so big, there is a high likelihood they will die in the next few months if you don't process them now. They are also intolerant of cold and heat, so if it gets really hot where you live this summer, that can also cause them to die. The hens may lay eggs, if they live that long, maybe 150/yr, but the CX roosters are usually too large/fat to fertilize them. They're only bred to live to processing age at around 8 wks.

So sorry you expected leghorns and got CX. That really sucks! Definitely contact the folks you bought from and get your money back!

Leghorns are no more than about 4-5 lbs full grown. They're pretty streamlined, not chunky at all like CX.

If you have to process them yourself, check out the Meat Bird Forum on this site for lots of helpful info on how to do it.
Agreed. I'm already seeing a couple that are having trouble moving around. I've already contacted Tractor Supply and should at the least be sent replacement chicks. The bad thing is I've already spent so much time and feed for something I wasn't expecting. One of the first clues I had was how much these ate. I filled up a 10lb feeder one day and it was all gone the next. They likely ate that much because it wasn't the higher protein that meat birds need.

I don't have a problem processing them. My wife is a different story :)
This is how mine was.

These birds are going to die. Either slowly and painfully if allowed to grow out, and the hands of a stranger OR by you, humanely. Mine as well be you.

This is what amazingly she said in the end.

I have quite a few fully mature cornish but not the fastest growing strain. One hen is a pet now. She wants me to pick her up but no one else to touch her. She's a real daddy's girl. 4 giant roosters that are like small turkeys. We will breed 4-5 of these big boys to some of the off spring of the cornish girls the way broad breasted turkeys are. I did loose 2 of the roosters to heart attacks but no others. I didn't feed them just because they were hungry. My pet hen must weigh 12-14 lbs and now I only pick her up to eye level in a game we have played since she was about 4lbs called riding the elevator. She still likes it but now when gets one ride. Have here is like going to the gym.

Agreed. I'm already seeing a couple that are having trouble moving around. I've already contacted Tractor Supply and should at the least be sent replacement chicks. The bad thing is I've already spent so much time and feed for something I wasn't expecting. One of the first clues I had was how much these ate. I filled up a 10lb feeder one day and it was all gone the next. They likely ate that much because it wasn't the higher protein that meat birds need.
For your wife, maybe explain it this way. These birds had the best life you could possibly give them. They had a much better life than any meat bird in any factory setting, and have enjoyed every moment of it. Unfortunately their bodies are not physically capable of sustaining life much longer because of how they are bred. They are just not designed to live more than 8 wks. Most grocery store roasting chickens, (like the rotisserie chickens at Walmart) live maybe 3-4 weeks. So 4 months of outdoor/outside happiness is phenomenal for CX.

The goal for many of us raising backyard meat birds is to give them the best life possible while they are with us, and one bad day. One very short bad moment, with a minimum of pain and stress as possible. If you don't process them, they will slowly live in pain and eventually linger and die. Chickens hide their pain, so they will never show you that they are not doing well until they are really, really bad.

In my case, I am grateful for their lives and honor their sacrifice by eating and using every bit of their body that I can.

If your wife wants to hang onto one hen or something, I could see that. There's usually at least one bird that gets your heart. But the eventual outcome is a foregone conclusion. I'm so sorry.

Got some pictures for reference guys .

Attachments

• IMG_7640.jpg
    IMG_7640.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7639.jpg
    IMG_7639.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7638.jpg
    IMG_7638.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7636.jpg
    IMG_7636.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7635.jpg
    IMG_7635.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 17
I have quite a few fully mature cornish but not the fastest growing strain. One hen is a pet now. She wants me to pick her up but no one else to touch her. She's a real daddy's girl. 4 giant roosters that are like small turkeys. We will breed 4-5 of these big boys to some of the off spring of the cornish girls the way broad breasted turkeys are. I did loose 2 of the roosters to heart attacks but no others. I didn't feed them just because they were hungry. My pet hen must weigh 12-14 lbs and now I only pick her up to eye level in a game we have played since she was about 4lbs called riding the elevator. She still likes it but now when gets one ride. Have here is like going to the gym.
Thanks for this. I have always wondered if they would be breedable

Thanks for this. I have always wondered if they would be breedable
Never allow CC roosters try to mate with any hen of any breed. Research AI breeding on youtube. There is a college professor that show how. It's really simple but takes 2 people to do it safely. A lot easier with chickens than 45lb turkey gobblers.

So, Hoover's and TSC come back stating "..their physical appearance looks like that of a white leghorn..." . After I pushed back explaining their body building physique, the fact that they range 12-14 lbs, and oddly enough laid a couple of BROWN eggs last week they're willing to refund or reship.

This happened to me too!! We got a chicken labeled White Leghorn back in April. She's 9 weeks old now and looks like those pics. She doesn't seem to have too much trouble moving, but can't seem to perch like everyone else, preferring to be on the ground cuddling the smaller birds.

Back
Top Bottom