Cornish Cross Poop

TabbieFayth

Chirping
Jan 19, 2019
Seems odd to post about poop, but I'm unfamiliar and severely lack in my Google search abilities lol.

I currently have 11 cornish cross and 2 ducklings in a brooder together. Both are around 1.5 weeks old. I noticed a lot of dark, runny poop in the brooder and at first thought it was from the ducks. Until I witnessed one of the meaties poop.

Is this normal? Should I be alarmed? They are all on a 22% meat bird feed. (Don't worry about the ducks, they are being removed next week) Water has the vitamin and electrolyte mix that ducks require for their niacin.
20190410_143912.jpg

22% protein feed. Hmm. Are you feeding high protein snacks? We got runny brown poop after the girls over treated the meaties on meal worms. In my experience, high protein in will result in high nitrogen coming out (read this as stinky (ammonia) & runny).

I use 18% for the life span and am happy with the growth and activity level of the CX.

To directly answer your question, yes, brown & runny can be normal depending on what they are eating. If it offends, try another brand &/or lower protein. Cheers!

22% protein feed. Hmm. Are you feeding high protein snacks? We got runny brown poop after the girls over treated the meaties on meal worms. In my experience, high protein in will result in high nitrogen coming out (read this as stinky (ammonia) & runny).

I use 18% for the life span and am happy with the growth and activity level of the CX.

To directly answer your question, yes, brown & runny can be normal depending on what they are eating. If it offends, try another brand &/or lower protein. Cheers!

Thanks! I haven't given any treats yet. Tomorrow they will be 2 weeks old. Strangely, it doesn't smell. At least not as one would expect.

Before I brought then home, I had asked in a chicken group about which feed was appropriate. And over and over again they all said meat bird feed, 22% for the first 3 to 4 weeks and then down to 18% until we cull at 8 to 10 weeks.

I may swap their feed with my layers. Who are currently on an 18% feather fixer (because the rooster has the girls looking rough).

I have had the dark poo once in a while with my hens but never meatiies. I agree that it sounds like too high of protein.

I never found Meatbird food necessary. My cornish feeding recipe is 0-4 weeks chick starter 18% 4-7 all flock 20% 7-the big day all flock plus things like scratch, cracked corn and treats. I like giving them a carbo boost at the end , makes them happy plus adds a little more fat.

Im actually butchering some today. I have a few that are over 8 lbs. Have fun with your meaties.

A chick is a chick. They all need chick starter and electrolytes. The meaties need starter for 4 weeks then slowly change (over a week) to poultry grower until you slaughter (10 to 12 weeks).
Consider medicated or unmedicated feed to protect the chick from the common diseases. I use unmedicated chick feed but buy the chicks vaccinated. Don't buy vaccinated and then use medicated feed. Poultry grower feed is not medicated.

Back
Top Bottom