Cornish cross with a polish roo?? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FarmerGrant011, Oct 23, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I only have one rooster and would like to keep it that way... I am in my schools FFA and one of my friends knows about my pet chickens and was wondering if I wanted one of her broilers. The county fair was last month so these are all the extra birds... My mom said I could get one, but I'm wondering... Would a broiler and a polish cross be an OK cross to eat?? I know with the polish they would lose some size.. But I still want to try it. What do you think I should do?? I have to know by Wednesday because he has to get rid of them on Wednesday.... Hope you can help!

Grant

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Unless you have a concern that you haven't voiced, I see no reason why you shouldn't do this.

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    While that cross will produce a chicken that you can eat and enjoy. The resulting chicks would be about 3 steps backward from the Cornish X as to meatiness. It would also serve as a good lesson in genetics.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I would worry that you may not even get the Cornish X to breeding age. They also aren't known for laying ability and fertility. Lots of double yokes and abnormal eggs. Doesn't sound like a very worthwhile project, especially since the show broilers will already be fattened, which will shorten their life significantly. You'll be lucky if they live to 12-14 weeks.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have three Cornish X that I have had since this spring. I am trying to hatch some of their eggs (the roo is a cornish x and 2 of the hens, the other hens are some red hens I got from TSC and an EE). I am very curious to see what kind of bird I will get from them. Eggs in the incubator now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by