Cornish cross with a polish roo?? Is it worth it?

FarmerGrant011

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I only have one rooster and would like to keep it that way... I am in my schools FFA and one of my friends knows about my pet chickens and was wondering if I wanted one of her broilers. The county fair was last month so these are all the extra birds... My mom said I could get one, but I'm wondering... Would a broiler and a polish cross be an OK cross to eat?? I know with the polish they would lose some size.. But I still want to try it. What do you think I should do?? I have to know by Wednesday because he has to get rid of them on Wednesday.... Hope you can help!

Grant

While that cross will produce a chicken that you can eat and enjoy. The resulting chicks would be about 3 steps backward from the Cornish X as to meatiness. It would also serve as a good lesson in genetics.

I would worry that you may not even get the Cornish X to breeding age. They also aren't known for laying ability and fertility. Lots of double yokes and abnormal eggs. Doesn't sound like a very worthwhile project, especially since the show broilers will already be fattened, which will shorten their life significantly. You'll be lucky if they live to 12-14 weeks.

I have three Cornish X that I have had since this spring. I am trying to hatch some of their eggs (the roo is a cornish x and 2 of the hens, the other hens are some red hens I got from TSC and an EE). I am very curious to see what kind of bird I will get from them. Eggs in the incubator now.

Back
Top Bottom