Cornish Game hens vs. CRX for showing

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
14 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
Going to our county show, all you see is the freak CRX in the meat class. There was someone with purebred Rocks last year, but they placed a red ribbon I think.
I am wondering if anyone has ever shown Cornish Game Hens in their 4-H show as meat birds? I would think that the consideration for purpose of the bird would come into play for the meat class, it shouldn't be purely about quantity of meat, right?
Anyone have comments? I would love to hear people weigh in here.

Last edited:
do you mean a pure standard cornish or cornish bantam, cause most "cornish game hens" are just cx's processed young. As for the judging, it varies greatly, around here we barely even have a meat class, and when we do they judge the quality of the birds, not the size, the rest of the show is dedicated to show birds. Not to point fingers, but in other areas of the country the judging is mostly dependant on the size of the bird, i believe the theory is that since they are meat birds they should produce meat, therefor the one with more meat is superior to the ones with less meat. I don't agree with this, but its not really my place...

95yj- thanks for you input. I think you and I agree on this. I do know you have to use the CRX to get the size in the time they say in the catalogs. Not sure if I can appreciate that or not. I may at some point grow some Cornish Bantams to see what they are like once they are up to size for butchering. I think it is a preference thing.

Back
Top Bottom