Cornish Hen- Special Needs

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by ClaireAjideh, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ClaireAjideh

ClaireAjideh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2014
    I have a cornish hen who I rescued from being snake food. Didn't know the breed when I got her but she is now unmistakable a broiler. She is the sweetest little girl but she needs special care. I restrict her diet even now so she doesn't get to fat and put strain on her legs. Also, in a big flock she would fall to the bottom of the pecking order and be beat on. She would be a great pet.

Located in Berkeley CA[​IMG]

she's the big one in the pic

2. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Very cute. What are you planning to do with her? I heard that letting them free range and not giving them meat bird food lets them grow slower and prevents them from getting broken legs. Just curious.

3. ClaireAjideh

Jan 12, 2014
    I'm hoping to find someone who can do just that for her. I've also heard the lower fat/protein foods given in rations is the best way. I had another cornish a few years ago with my flock so I wasn't able to restrict just her diet (and at the time I didn't know about food restriction for broilers) and she was unable to walk after a while.

4. ChookRanger

Jun 25, 2014
    Good luck.[​IMG] I hope you can find someone to make her into a pet.

5. ClaireAjideh

Jan 12, 2014
    Found her a home!

6. ChookRanger

Jun 25, 2014
    Congratulations!

7. JennIY23

JennIY23 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    I'm hoping someone can give me advice. Last week my wife and I bought 6 more chicks (3 sex link pullets, 2 silkies, and 1 Cornish Hen). They are 6 days old. We do not plan on using the Cornish for meat, but already she seems to be outgrowing the others. I am nervous about her (or him) getting too big too quickly. How can I make sure she's not too heavy for her legs? They're still so small I don't want to separate them yet. And what can I do for her as an adult? I do plan on letting them free range on weekends when I'm home, otherwise they'll have access to a caged run during the week.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

You might want to post this in our Meat Birds section for more help with your birds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Good luck with your birds! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by