Cornish hen uninterested in food, hiding, and lethargic

darlingdarla

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Laurel, Maryland
Yesterday I noticed my cornish hen's beak looked funky, on closer inspection it is bloody and cracked, the tip is bent upwards slightly. She was eating and drinking so I left her alone.
Today when I let the flock out she just didn't seem normal, and when I went to feed her she showed a complete disinterest in food. This is extremely unusual especially for this bird. My first thought was her beak is hurting her and she dosen't want to eat but she was eating with it yesterday. She also wasn't running from me like she usually does, once she let me pick her up with no resistance at all.
I went inside to get her something and when I came back out she was hiding in the corner of the coop and didn't react past glancing at me when I picked her up.
I locked the coop so she won't be bothered by the others and gave her some raw egg yolks (which are her favorite and she's never turned them down) and dry oats. She ate some oats and seems interested, but wouldn't touch the yolks.
I'm planning to give her a warm soak and keep her inside for a while, I'm putting rooster booster in her water as well.
I am worried she's egg bound, she hasn't started laying again since molting, only two of my birds have.
She also could be being pecked on, she's the eighth hen in a flock if fifteen so she's smack in the middle of the pecking order. I noticed one hen chasing her but it didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. That's why I separated her for a while.
She is a two year old (since July) cornish hen, she's never had any issues before not even bumblefoot. I have the birds on flock raiser feed and oyster shells are offered on the side. I'm adding supplements to the main water as well.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Anything I should be doing differently? Any help anyone can offer is appreciated.

Firstly, how bad is her beak, may you please provide a picture?
It's not bad, the top is broken just past the bottom and it's cracked higher up. I don't know how but I know it happened sometime the night before the last, three days ago she was fine when I locked her up. Her beak got screwed up once before when she was six months old, but it never stopped her from eating and that was way worse.
20201207_151530.jpg 20201207_151209.jpg 20201207_151104(0).jpg

She went up to roost just now, before anyone else. I got her to eat some oats and sloppy feed, her crop is about the size of a golf ball and feels healthy. I added electrolytes to all water sources and I know she got some of that in her.

It's not bad, the top is broken just past the bottom and it's cracked higher up. I don't know how but I know it happened sometime the night before the last, three days ago she was fine when I locked her up. Her beak got screwed up once before when she was six months old, but it never stopped her from eating and that was way worse.
View attachment 2440223View attachment 2440224View attachment 2440226

She went up to roost just now, before anyone else. I got her to eat some oats and sloppy feed, her crop is about the size of a golf ball and feels healthy. I added electrolytes to all water sources and I know she got some of that in her.
Poor thing - but you are taking the right steps in the correct direction. Hopefully, it will eventually grow back. If it gets worse, beaks can be repaired with the paper from an empty tea bag and super glue gel. Here is a great link: https://the-chicken-chick.com/repairing-chickens-broken-beak/

this guy eats just fine now but I had to hand feed him for 10 days maybe? it looks a bit like yours. I just pushed the bottom mandible down and put food in his mouth and he gobbled it up. I started with mash but feeding one pellet at a time was easiest.
20201115_133427.jpg

this guy eats just fine now but I had to hand feed him for 10 days maybe? it looks a bit like yours. I just pushed the bottom mandible down and put food in his mouth and he gobbled it up. I started with mash but feeding one pellet at a time was easiest.View attachment 2440244
Okay thanks, I'll try feeding her something by hand tomorrow, maybe boiled eggs would be good for her. She's very uncooperative, I'll leave her alone tonight, I don't want to stress her out more than she already is.

Back
Top Bottom