Cornish jubilee or white laced red? w/pic

Quote:
I have to disagree about the eb based birds in the US, at least with the birds I've purchased so far. My Dark chicks are e+ marked. I haven't seen an eb looking chick--yet. I purchased some WLR eggs, and got four birds that didn't inherit white, their chick down was eWh.

Who knows what anyone has anymore!
idunno.gif

Based on the APA standard, I found an almost perfectly colored Roo from a non-exhibition 'heritage' flock. I have a Dark hen in with him right now, so we will see what they throw.

The only thing I am sure of is that my birds are segregating at the e locus.
big_smile.png

Does anyone have a set of good photos or drawings (most I've see were either blurry, poorly positioned or too dark) for diffferentiating the E locus (or any other genes for that matter) by chick down?

I've seen the ones at the first link, and while the site is a wonderful source of genetic information, those chick photos are not really a good set for distinguishing the differences. Not enough & too much contrast, photos too blurry, chick positions not good for comparing--especially the ones with back striping.

The second link is better, but you can only see one colour at a time, and it doesn't distinguish between the e-locus.

Quote:
I've heard that from a couple of people now. The hens look very different, but I realize that in many cases the roos coloring is different than the hens. I am still wondering if the hens are wlr as well. Maybe I can corral my husband today long enough to help me get a close up Thanks to all. Also, I love the genetics talk. I am going to have to limit myself to that study or I'll never get anything else done.

Ryu wrote:

I have to disagree about the eb based birds in the US, at least with the birds I've purchased so far. My Dark chicks are e+ marked. I haven't seen an eb looking chick--yet. I purchased some WLR eggs, and got four birds that didn't inherit white, their chick down was eWh.

Who knows what anyone has anymore!

Now you remind me, you've got a good point there. I used to breed some very nice Indian Games in Britain & bought some eggs soon after coming to USA. While I had did not know that US Indian Game were supposed to be eb (that would have thrown me) I was expecting wheaten down & very disappointed when I saw them hatch with e+ down. They were terrible birds anyway, nowhere near the right size or type. I expect people have been messing around with them too much.​

Last edited:
My exhibition birds are pretty typey, and the color is ok--but clearly not quite correct mostly based on under color the back feathering is lacking a distinct red center as well. The roos are not the slate/ebony on all parts of their body. Hens have a nice slate under color and good lacing. Maybe this is a hen line? The sellers didn't say. I am thinking they picked up eWh somewhere.

I would expect dark under color from an e+, eWh lightens under color correct? I guess that's what I'm basing my 'fluff' problems on.

I am really looking forward to the young 'heritage' roo. He has ebony/slate undercolor, lovely dark red centers on his back, bright blood red shafts on his hackle, glossy ebony purple/green sheen. He is a very pretty boy. I just hope he likes Fiona.
fl.gif
He hasn't looked real interested so far.
he.gif
I'll know when I start collecting eggs.

The pics of Dark Cornish chicks on feathersite show eye stripes and back stripes. That's what mine look like no brown just black stripes and cream. My WLR chicks looked exactly like what was pictured as well.

The WLR eggs I bought had correctly marked roos. I kept one very nicely marked hen, and have been looking for a nice roo.

I'm just going to keep the correctly marked birds. I am hoping by the F2 crosses it becomes clear which e locus I want. I have one daughter going back to father to help answer the question this year. She layed her first egg a week ago--it looked like a ping pong ball so I'm going to have to wait a little longer before I get an egg worth setting.

I think you are wrong in your thinking that your birds are e+ based, as it is not possible to get a double or single laced pattern on this allele.The hens would also have unpatterned salmon breasts. Lacing patterns can only be made on eWh, eb and ER, hatch down of e+ & eb chicks are often confused when other modifing genes are present,
david

I think you are wrong in your thinking that your birds are e+ based, as it is not possible to get a double or single laced pattern on this allele.The hens would also have unpatterned salmon breasts. Lacing patterns can only be made on eWh, eb and ER, hatch down of e+ & eb chicks are often confused when other modifing genes are present,
david

Interesting, thanks.
So is it double lacing eb/eb, Pg-Ml/Pg-Ml that would look like e+ down at hatch? I've seen eb/eb, Co/Co.
Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom