Cornish Losses

Karrie13

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Minnesota
I seem to be losing my Cornish x’s left and right. I don’t understand what is going on, maybe someone will be able to help me? This is my first time with meaties.

I started out with 40 on 4-13 and am now down to 28!! I lost 7 Sunday night/Monday morning and another one yesterday. I have one that doesn’t look very good today. They are on medicated meat maker and have water all the time. I am not taking the food away at night, maybe that is some of the problem? But since it is dark I wouldn’t expect them to eat anyway and I only fill the feeders up each morning and they are almost empty the next morning. I have three feeders in there, one 3 ft one 4 ft, and one gravity so there is PLENTY of feeder space.

We have had a LOT of rain this last week and it is a challenge to keep their pen dry for them but I think it has been going pretty well. What surprises me is that I didn’t have any losses last Friday when it was raining, snowing, and cold. The one that doesn’t look good today is lethargic and didn’t go to the food when I put it fresh food out for them, it just laid down and fluffed up. I have also noticed there is some poo with blood in it but it doesn’t look like the pictures I have seen for Cocci and they have been doing this since I got them. It isn’t all the time but here and there. I did rule that out since they are on medicated feed. The one that died yesterday was laying by the feeder and didn’t appear to be crushed or anything. The 7 from Monday had one that looked crushed but the other 6 looked fine. I have some that are HUGE but others that are very small. Did I just get a bad batch, am I doing something wrong, or just having bad luck?

They are out in a tractor - protected from wind and rain. I am losing both big and small but more the bigger ones. I haven't weighed them since last sunday but some were 40 ounces and others were 19 ounces. I don't weigh everyone just pick a couple. Are they to big?

I definitely think that you need to remove the feed for the evenings. Also make sure they are getting calcium to help with leg problems, it will help you for later on (use boiled egg, ground egg shell, raw milk) Good luck

I just went through this, 60 to 39 in 3 weeks. Look for bloody poop.

I gave mine some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water and they perked up. If they are fully feathered, they shouldn't be too cold. They just have no will.

Thanks for the advice. I think there is something going on with them I just don't know what it is. My other chickens are fine, it is just these. The one that was not looking good this morning is now gasping for breath and when I picked it up some cloudy liquid came out of it's beak. It's crop is empty too. I don't think it is going to hang on much longer. I will try the apple cider vinegar, I have some on hand. They don't seem to be having any leg problems and will walk around but I did remove the feed this evening and will continue doing that. Just disappointing to loose so many.

I saw, read or was told that the CCs should only eat for 12 hours and then off for 12 hours or they can gain weight too rapidly and have a multitude of problems. I have 13 of them that were born 4/20 and I've only lost one since I went to this method AND vitamins in the water.

I'm pretty new to meaties myself but my research says they are VERY prone to heart attack. Which would be my first guess if I lost 7 in one night. Could something have frightened them?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom