Cornish Rock Meat Bird Breeding Project

Pics
Although I never planned on keeping a CX rooster, I only meant to keep hens a slow maturing male got into my save for breeding pen. At about 15 weeks (June 20th, not in the mood to count weeks for accuracy) I decided to weigh this guy who stands 16.5 Inches tall and seems even wider than tall. 10.8 pounds. He wasn't as heavy to carry as he looked. Maybe the feed rationing is working out well. His bone structure is huge but he isn't real heavy. I hope he can breed naturally I do not want fiddle with a rooster then use an eye dropper to collect his man seed. But even if I can't breed him my goal was never CX to CX, I was just going to attempt it since I had the means due to a gendering mistake. Maybe I will keep a useless eater as a novelty pet.

My CX broilers have been on their diet for well over a month now, maybe over 2 even. They are different birds now. Very active, probably the most vigorous scratch feed lovers in the flock.

They love to eat and we can make them get lots of exercise by force feeding a little scratch every other day. I feed them a little more than the breeding industry recommends for parent flock breeders because of the scratch thing but it definitely keeps them occupied and prevents fighting.

Yes, fighting seems to happen now that they have been on their diet all this time but wow are they active and agile. They probably couldn't fly up to a roost but I think they will start breeding /laying soon.

My ISA Browns are mating and laying their first eggs right now and I got them the same day as the day old CX chicks. I figure I'll start feeding the CX hens layer feed around 18 or 20 weeks which should be in a couple weeks or so. Need to check my calendar and do a little research about when they start laying first though.

We still have 4 cockerels and 6 pullets.

Anyway just thought I would do a little update. Shouldnt be too long before we know if this attempt is going to work out. I have good feelings about it.

I changed the way I ration feed my CX breeders. I just dump their feed on the compost pile where I suspect the most amount of worm/bugs to be. This is when I use Crumbles to feed them instead of pellets. The crumbles fall into the compost pile and they are forced to scratch to get to the last of it. This leads to more exercise and more finding other goodies in the compost pile. If it raining I feed them under a covered area in a feeder.

Back
Top Bottom