Cornish rocks

Yes, Cornish Rocks are meat birds. Personally, since you only have two, I wouldn't worry about it too much- certainly not to the extent of getting seperate facilities for them when you don't intend on raising meat birds specifically. I'd just raise them with your others or give them away.

I weighed the cornish x's today and they are 4 ozs to the other chicks 1.5 ozs. I could not believe it until I caught one. They do not look that much heavier.

Rene'

There are going to be bunch of confused people when their chicks grow up in 6 weeks.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting an order of 25 meat birds for a while now. I decided to buy 6 from TSC and see how it goes. They had them in a cattle trough with a light on them. THe sign said Cornish Rocks. People was hauling them out hte door because they were cheaper than the other breeds.

I asked one lady wha she was going to do with those chicks. She said to raise for eggs. I told her they were meat birds and probably woudl not make it to the egg laying stage and the were designed to be eaten in 6-8 weeks. She said well they should put up a sign. She bought other chicks. There were many others that have bought them for egg chickens.

I asked a guy that worked there to help me get 6. He said the boxes are there and you get your own. He was not helpfull at all.

We will see how they turn out.

Darin

Quote:
I like going to TSC. They have a ton of cool stuff, and it's much easier shopping than at the feed store, but overall, most of them are aweful, unless you know exactly what you need. Occasionally you'll get a retired farmer looking for a part time job who works there, but for the most part, their employees are the folks who also applied at Best Buy and Target, but TSC called first. They don't know squat, and it's irresponsible in the case of the meat birds. I guarentee most of the employees wouldn't even be able to explain to customers which birds were appropriate for which purposes. Everything is overpriced, and apparently (at least in my area,) they started selling their own pine chips, which are also horrible. Big chunks, instead of shavings, and tons of bark pieces. That being said, I'm going there tomorrow for some things, because I'm an idiot.
big_smile.png

I love TSC. We have several mom and pop feed stores around but they are even higher than TSC. I have a client that works there. So far there are people for the most part that know what they are doing. Sadly I am in there so often, due to it is less than 2 miles from the house, they think that I know my stuff and did not tell me about meat chickens.

I will just have to chalk this up to another life lesson learned.

Rene'

I was at TSC and asked them what kind of chicks they had since NONE of them were marked and I got these are St. Runs these are pullets and so on. I said but what kind are they and he goes what I just said...
barnie.gif
gig.gif
I just laughed and walked away from the chicks.

meat birds get bigger faster, and still lay eggs.

They can be free ranged, too, without any problems.

They might pick on the smaller chickens though, so separation might be something to look into if this problem occurs.

cornish are prety hardy as far as chickens go, since they are not bred for temperment or eggs, just for loads of tender white meat...and diseae resistance.

If you're looking for yummy flavor, the cornish have it.

If youre looking for eggs, they have it.

If you're looking for yard decor, they are still chickens!

Maybe this is a happy little surprise in an unexpected package!

If you have cornish rocks you definitely have a meat bird. They grow much faster. There are tons of posts on here about how to take care of meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom