Cornish Thread

I realy like that rooster on the bottom, I will be so glad when mine are big enough to tell male from female.
Shoot, I just realized I put these pics in the wrong thread.

While I agree with you from a Cornish standpoint, that the bottom one looks the part--- in all honestly the top one is the ideal backyard meat bird. Without a doubt in my mind, and against most all common belief- a true Cornish isn't much for progress towards a good backyard set of sustainable meat birds. These project deals though that big medicine started- are a tremendous stride towards perfection of such an endeavor.

I realy like that rooster on the bottom, I will be so glad when mine are big enough to tell male from female.

Shoot, I just realized I put these pics in the wrong thread.

While I agree with you from a Cornish standpoint, that the bottom one looks the part--- in all honestly the top one is the ideal backyard meat bird.  Without a doubt in my mind, and against most all common belief- a true Cornish isn't much for progress towards a good backyard set of sustainable meat birds.  These project deals though that big medicine started- are a tremendous stride towards perfection of such an endeavor. 
I'd have to agree that a true cornish isn't going to be a great backyard meat bird. Reason I say this isn't because they are great meat birds, but for "backyard" meat bird, you'd need something easier to handle and care for.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree that a true cornish isn't going to be a great backyard meat bird. Reason I say this isn't because they are great meat birds, but for "backyard" meat bird, you'd need something easier to handle and care for.
with better fertilty, more egg production, and a faster growth rate.

I have to say that show type chickens. Do not lay as many eggs as most. I have some White Rock standard size. And these do not lay anywhere near the #. Of my production types.
And the Cornish that I do have. Well the hens are from Ideal. And before the one went broody she was a good layer. I also have the Buff Cornish from them. And the type may not be the best. But they have laid very good.
About the fertility. I would say most Cornish at about 20 something weeks old. Should start to be good breeders.
I would say that thru selection. You could improve the amount of eggs that your hens lay. As you said the hard feathered birds as most Standard Cornish are. How many eggs do the really lay.
I have some that I have bred Asil into. And the size is not that great. In the first cross. I have some now that are 3/4 Cornish. So I will have to see how these grow. I think as I attempt to breed these back to 7/8 Standard cornish. The size should be close to the Cornish. And color is both W L Reds and some Darks as well as White with a few black feathers.
Good breeding to all. And keep the varmits away....NJNick

these are my 2 mottled Cornish bantam cockerels that need some ladies anyone with some good Cornish that sells mottled eggs please pm me.

1)
971778_418326618266516_1605503917_n.jpg

2)
419639_418326744933170_501965290_n.jpg

Abosuletly beautiful cornish chickens! Im getting some soon, Im so excited! Are they good chickens? Mine will be cornish bantams.

How does one post a picture on this thread?

theres a little pic icon on the top right, click it and it takes you to your pics the just pick the one you want to post, and since im here let me post a pic of this years chicks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom