Cornish Thread

No I cancelled the order when he let slip he had a current outbreak of cocci on his place. Not worth the risk. I was surprised he was still willing to send chicks out when he knew he had a contagious disease in his paddocks.

"I keep my chicks in a separate area" he said. Hmmmm?? Well, unless you remove your shoes and change them for each area, or wear protective footwear covers for each area, and wash your hands throughly before touching anything in each area. The Cocci don't care and will follow you. So, again, hmmmm.... maybe,,,, uh NO.

So in short the answer is no and I have since decided not to raise Cornish, I sold my dark Cornish breeding pair and am down to one pullet about a month old and three chicks from them I will hopefully sell this week.
BING BANG BOOM--- And there folks, you'll find the exact reason why Cornish people don't like selling birds to just anyone, and are especially hesitant to sell them to new people with great big ideas.

The new people don't stick with it. They give up too easy. We Cornish people don't want our genetics and hard work getting wasted away!

BING BANG BOOM--- And there folks, you'll find the exact reason why Cornish people don't like selling birds to just anyone, and are especially hesitant to sell them to new people with great big ideas.

The new people don't stick with it. They give up too easy. We Cornish people don't want our genetics and hard work getting wasted away!
BIng Bang yourself you have no idea how many years I have raised my dark cornish before selling them and if not buying birds from a place that knows it is having an outbreak of Cocci is giving up well then.... so be it. Your comment was uninformed, judgmental and rude. You can respond if you would like but I won't see it I am leaving the group. Your response will be only to serve your own ego

Help sexing my dark Cornish?
I'm new to the breed.. Can pullets have metallic green on their back feathers too? How can I sex at 9 weeks?

Help sexing my dark Cornish?
I'm new to the breed.. Can pullets have metallic green on their back feathers too? How can I sex at 9 weeks?

A heavily mellanized female can have a beetle green sheen. A general guideline plumage wise is double laced males will have a solid black chest where as females will have the double laced pattern all over.

So going by it's solid colored chest, coupled with the size and stoutness of feet and legs, my money is on male.

I know I didn't ask this question originally, but now I'm curious.. I didn't see white laced red in the color calculator.. What would a cross between a dark and a WLR hen look like?

To build a white laced red on Henk's calculator, I go to silver laced (Wyandotte version) , the gold laced he has listed is Sebright based. Once you have the silver laced (wyandote version) up, scroll down to S/ - silver, and change it to s/ - gold/wildtype, making it a gold laced. Now white laced red requires dominant white, so you'll need to scroll down to I and switch it over to dominant white. Ok, now I'm not dead sure if a proper white laced red requires mahogany, but I'm betting it does, so that would have to be added, Mh.

Now to cross a white laced red and a dark, assuming we are starting with proper well bred birds, (meaning they posses two copies of all the correct genes). The first thing to consider is white laced reds are single laced, and darks are double laced, so resulting chicks will likely fall somewhere between the two patterns. Color wise, if the white laced red has two copies of dominant white, all chicks will receive a copy and show white lacing, as it only takes a single copy of a dominant gene to show itself.

Now if you were to breed these one copy dominant white chicks together, you could get double laced, single laced and more tweeners like their parents in either white or black laced patterns.

Back
Top Bottom