Cornish Thread

It's good she's done so well on her first try.  I've heard of some broodies that murder their own chicks........... so she's a keeper for sure!!! 

Thanks, that is what we thought. She has been terribly broody again, it is a continual battle with her. Our deal is no babies in the fall/winter....so she will have to wait yet again until next spring.

If you want to try this for getting rid of broody.Run a bucket of cold water.Take your broody hen and put her in the water about half way up the body(getting the whole bottom half submerged of the hen) for about 3 mins.This method works about 85% of the time. Good luck:)

Ya being too broody can be a pain- I don't have silkies any more because they were always broody, they drove me nuts!  Hopefully she won't want to brood all winter!

Thanks, last winter she was broody three times between October and Feb....

If you want to try this for getting rid of broody.Run a bucket of cold water.Take your broody hen and put her in the water about half way up the body(getting the whole bottom half submerged of the hen) for about 3 mins.This method works about 85% of the time. Good luck:)

I don't mind her broodiness too much, just worry about her some as she is always on the nest. I pull her off a couple times a day for snacks, food etc.....

I haven't even gotten an egg yet, much less a broody! I had chickens a number of years ago, then was out of them for many years but just got back in this spring. My oldest chicks (mixed breed) are 4 months old now and at least they are starting to look like chickens! My Cornish are 2 months old now......... starting to look like glossy little footballs! Love them.

Oops, sorry, I should have been more clear - I mean the best age to choose the best cockerel for breeding. All of them have many faults, but I wondered if any of the faults would improve over time. I assume they get broader as they age? I guess they are still very young. I only have 3 pullets so I will be keeping only one of the roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom