Cornish Thread

I had a peek at my roosters. Of the three that I have, the comb width follows the body type. So, the "best" rooster, who unfortunately has the telescoped comb, has the blockiest build, the heaviest bone, the widest head, the best colour.... has the widest comb. The middle rooster, next in size, has the middle comb and the third rooster, the lightest, has the nicest comb shape (as good as a Buckeye) but the narrowest comb. It's funny but it's the third rooster who's most interested in the hens.
Of course it couldn't work out that the best rooster had the best shaped comb. So my "best" rooster overall has a disqualifying comb..............
hmm.png

Try to use that best rooster If he has more right things with him and remember the hen will have her genetics there too.(even with the not so good comb). its always a crap shoot with Cornish. :)

Thanks theoldguy. I have to cull down to one rooster so I want to be sure it's Mr. Right! Unfortunately the hens are probably related. No rush, the boys are still behaving.
As I have said before, it's doubtful that you have anything that is "Mr. Right". Tried and true breeders will keep multiple pens, trying to mix and match 'pieces' and parts. Everything I consider to be a 'tool', and as long as matched up with the right partner can really develop into a great 'tool box'. Successful breeding programs often mate only single pairs, and then have the ability to better understand pedigree and pre-potency in those lineage.

Keeping something sub par- might work great- if something else has the ability to 'correct' or 'over correct' it.

or, again, like I said many times-- maybe it's best to cull and start over.

Sounds to me like none of the 3 roosters are worthy to breed, or maybe not worthy enough for you to make genetic progress. Sure, they might replicate the same of their kind- but under the most scrutinous eye= that's not good enough.

Sounds to me like if they are all good enough for you- then it doesn't matter which you keep because genetically they are either all the same, or close enough to void a decision. Genetics do not lie, as long as they are true. Genetically, and in the breeding on ability- likely doesn't matter with any of the 3.

Every true stud sire should make a son better than himself in one or two offspring crops... and if he isn't- then he's not worthy or breeding on to better a breeding program.

Last edited:
kfacres you are right, that's very good advice for any breed too not just the Cornish. I will choose the rooster that compliments my best hen. If |I get a lot of lousy combs etc. and chicks that aren't better than the parents then absolutely I will start over.

kfacres you are right, that's very good advice for any breed too not just the Cornish. I will choose the rooster that compliments my best hen. If |I get a lot of lousy combs etc. and chicks that aren't better than the parents then absolutely I will start over.
multiple species as well.

Hellbender it's true, nothing like a little inbreeding to find out what's going on! Actually I'm glad I've put off the culling, my runt rooster has put on an amazing amount of growth this week and he's looking more and more like a contender. It didn't take long for the boys to start misbehaving so I've had to separate out the cockerels from the hens today, so that gives me even more time to decide, now that I don't have to worry about them going for the hens. I thought Cornish were slow! Apparently not, gangs of cockerels were chasing down their favourite few hens. They seem to have no interest in the cornish pullets, they like the red and white cross hens I have. Things were getting out of control so today was the last day the boys were allowed to be out with the girls. Then, after cull time, I'll be down to one Buckeye and one Cornish rooster and I will probably split them up into 2 flocks, or just pen the roosters and let them out with the girls on alternate days.

Last edited:
I'm looking at saving this "little" girl. She is 19 days old today and two pounds. I might have to put her on the broiler breeder diet at 4 weeks.

Dad is my Dark Cornish whopper "Bam Bam" he has the telescoping peacomb.

Mom at 34 days and 3.4 pounds..she does not have the bone her daughter has. I started her on the broiler breeder diet...what a pain. I weighed out the feed every day. Despite the diet, they had compensatory gain when they came off the diet at 16 weeks so they can develop their reproduction tract. She weights 12 pounds now.

Back
Top Bottom