Cornish Thread

For some silly reason, many folks have gotten it into their heads that chickens are vegetarian. They are not, no more than is a ROBIN. I suspect the diet of the robin is nearly 80% some sort of 'flesh'. Bugs, worms...even carrion.

Oh...thought I should add maggots...excellent source of high quality protein.

Last edited:
For some silly reason, many folks have gotten it into their heads that chickens are vegetarian.  They are not, no more than is a ROBIN.  I suspect the diet of the robin is nearly 80% some sort of 'flesh'.  Bugs, worms...even carrion.

Oh...thought I should add maggots...excellent source of high quality protein.

I don't know why your surprised. It is amazing the number of vegans I have got into arguments with trying to convince me that humans are vegetarians. I even had one show me proof using a hippos teeth.

Agreed. I have noticed that people on here are very sensitive to the idea that you can make your own feed. I suspect that it is due to this site being sponsored by purina....

Experience and a keen eye lead me to believe that the great majority of people cannot formulate nor develop their own rations. In my daily duties I see it far too often- people who think that buying the cheapest thing out there will suffice. Nothing is more important in successful livestock production than feeding a quality ration.

In reading post after post on this site, I feel this is a major issue on here as well. When the key words are DE, sprouted greens, and all the other fairy dust foo/foo foodstuffs out there. Nutrition is the key.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you all idiots, but to an extent you have to be careful what you write on here because some knock off will read iit and take it to heart the wrong way. We all know this place is full of yuppies. My other point is feeding meat and bone meal to chickens makes about as much sense as feeding poultry litter to steers-- and as someone has already pointed out... well.. I'll let you re-read that above.

Experience and a keen eye lead me to believe that the great majority of people cannot formulate nor develop their own rations.  In my daily duties I see it far too often- people who think that buying the cheapest thing out there will suffice.  Nothing is more important in successful livestock production than feeding a quality ration.  

In reading post after post on this site, I feel this is a major issue on here as well.  When the key words are DE, sprouted greens, and all the other fairy dust foo/foo foodstuffs out there.  Nutrition is the key.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you all idiots, but to an extent you have to be careful what you write on here because some knock off will read iit and take it to heart the wrong way.  We all know this place is full of yuppies.  My other point is feeding meat and bone meal to chickens makes about as much sense as feeding poultry litter to steers-- and as someone has already pointed out... well.. I'll let you re-read that above.  

It is the cycle that is the problem. If your feeding one animal parts of another animal, chickens eating cow bone, and then feeding other cows the litter of those chickens; You are setting yourself up for a catastrophe.
Chickens need that calcium source and there is nothing wrong with it coming from bone meal. I personally go ahead and buy oyster shell instead because I do not want to go to that much work, the dogs can eat the bones.

Experience and a keen eye lead me to believe that the great majority of people cannot formulate nor develop their own rations. In my daily duties I see it far too often- people who think that buying the cheapest thing out there will suffice. Nothing is more important in successful livestock production than feeding a quality ration.

In reading post after post on this site, I feel this is a major issue on here as well. When the key words are DE, sprouted greens, and all the other fairy dust foo/foo foodstuffs out there. Nutrition is the key.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you all idiots, but to an extent you have to be careful what you write on here because some knock off will read iit and take it to heart the wrong way. We all know this place is full of yuppies. My other point is feeding meat and bone meal to chickens makes about as much sense as feeding poultry litter to steers-- and as someone has already pointed out... well.. I'll let you re-read that above.

Just curious...why do you think feeding meat and bone meal to chickens is a bad thing?

Last edited:
I stand by my statements.
1f61c.png
I personally agree 100% with Hellbender.

Back
Top Bottom