Cornish Thread

The reason that traits (like pearl eyes) have disappeared is because of dilution by other breeds. Crossing a different strain to fix a specific trait will add whatever dilution that strain contains. Breeds can become a cumulative product of their dilutions.

There are some people who have tried re introducing the original ingredients of the Cornish using oriental game breeds that have remained pretty pure since the time of the Cornish's invention. The examples I have seen in pictures from Australia and Belgium among other places, looked very nice, much like the old pictures of Cornish that the hatcheries put in their catalogs to avoid the embarrassment of using a picture of the birds they typically ship.
This is why I have been trying to gather the orientals. I've got one nice asil,the 8 Saipans. After Christmas I was start working on getting Malays,Oshamo and a few more asil

I have some very specific crosses I want to try. I've got a line on show quality Dark Cornish.My pens Are NOT ready for the addition. I have absolutely no intention of showing my birds, I do however want to get them to the point that they were when first developed.

Are there any white cornish that are dominant white? That might be easier to get rid of (in theory)(or maybe not!) but now that I think about it, a white cornish popping up from time to time wouldn' t necessarily be a bad thing...............
That's the point with white cornish- they are all recessive.

However, the 'white' in White Laced Red Cornish, are typically dominant 'white'.

I have experienced birds that have resulted in being 'almost' all white- and I believe they actually had one copy of dominate white and one that was recessive.

I have some very specific crosses I want to try. I've got a line on show quality Dark Cornish.My pens Are NOT ready for the addition. I have absolutely no intention of showing my birds, I do however want to get them to the point that they were when first developed.

When I think of the Cornish I'd like they look like these, maybe a bit fluffier because of our cold climate, but this: (from page 1 of this thread!!! )
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If you do some reading on that first page in some of the old writings, it seems like they were in a hurry to get game out of the name. They must have taken it too far, looks like they bred most of it out as well. I would like to see some Cornish with some nice long legs under them and a nice oriental game head on a nice long neck like the old pictures.

Back
Top Bottom