Cornish Thread

Hatchery stock. color and build are off.

What hatchery? Reminds me of my MMH cockerels.

Any idea of what the egg weights were before (you dad's) , during (Prolapsing hens), and after? (Now). How does the egg size of the hens you have now compare to the ones that were prolapsing? Did you notice any difference in body shape in the hens that lay larger eggs just fine, after the prolapsing hens were culled?
My Cornish eggs have gone from under 40 grams when they started laying to consistently in the mid 45 gram range now(as promised- thanks Hellbender!
big_smile.png
). Mind you these are not exhibition Cornish but a bit more typey than most hatchery ones.. At first I was expecting that 55-60 grams should be possible but now I've learned that eggs that size would be detrimental to the hens. But, I'm still curious what a good Cornish shaped hen is capable of, without causing harm.

Queen Misha, I do agree, Cornish look very, very good in black. :)

No, unfortunately I did not have an egg scale then, or now.

There is still some variation in the female side of that project. This past year I did give preference to hatching the larger darker eggs toward the tail end of the hatching season. Waiting foe these pullets to mature to see if there is a noticeable pattern here.

Any idea of what the egg weights were before (you dad's) , during (Prolapsing hens), and after? (Now). How does the egg size of the hens you have now compare to the ones that were prolapsing? Did you notice any difference in body shape in the hens that lay larger eggs just fine, after the prolapsing hens were culled?
My Cornish eggs have gone from under 40 grams when they started laying to consistently in the mid 45 gram range now(as promised- thanks Hellbender!
big_smile.png
). Mind you these are not exhibition Cornish but a bit more typey than most hatchery ones.. At first I was expecting that 55-60 grams should be possible but now I've learned that eggs that size would be detrimental to the hens. But, I'm still curious what a good Cornish shaped hen is capable of, without causing harm.

Queen Misha, I do agree, Cornish look very, very good in black. :)
Remember, Cornish people don't really care about eggs. They only care which ones are fertile and actually hatch.... LOL

Remember, Cornish people don't really care about eggs. They only care which ones are fertile and actually hatch.... LOL

LOL I may not be an official Cornish person but I like cornish and I like eggs!
big_smile.png
wink.png
I'm curious what the smallest egg is, that you could incubate from a standard cornish and hatch a decent chick. I'd thought the cut off "rule of thumb" was 50 grams. On another forum it seems (not specific to the Cornish breed but as a general observation ) that acceptable egg size for incubating has drifted down from 60 grams to 50. How low can we go?

If you will look at the eggs directly above the one to the left says 51.6(purebred Dark Cornish hen), you can't read the one in the middle, the one to the right says 60.5(Cornish Roaster hen) they all hatched. What I find is the smaller ones hatch early. I think it gets too crowded causing early hatch. They still survive. They are just smaller than my crossbred chicks. They fight at day two.

Back
Top Bottom