Cornish Thread

When I was in college, I owned and operated the Baltimore Canine training center (located in Glen Burnie). While some biters do so out of fear, they usually bite from the back and when a person is in retreat. A good dog with the proper temperament for protection/assault work will take a man on face to face.

We didn't turn out the sleeve-happy mutts like so many groups do but rather our dogs were true man eaters and only about 1 in 20 were mentally/physically able to take the training and still be a very sociable dog.

About chickens....I said others would have opinions...what works for me might not do so for others...
thumbsup.gif

I'm with Hellbender with regards to the masculity/ aggressive/ fertility correlation. I'll go one step further towards what I think he is trying to get across. The effects are not seen in the first generation, but it's in the 2nd 3rd or more. I can testify that by keeping the physically good looking, but vigor poor lacking critters-- will eventually catch up with you with regards to that vigor.

In my time involved with, and around livestock people, very few actually stick around with it to produce more than a generations or two of their own decisions. Most move on to something 'bigger' and better, and lose focus way to easy.

I did a quick search of the literature, but was not able to find any papers that showed reliably good predictors of fertility. Mind you most of the work was done on commercial broilers. Body weight was negatively correlated to fertility, that's all I could find.
An interesting theory about aggression and fertility. I'll keep it in mind and see how things go, I definitely want mellow chickens so this will be a good test. I'll let you know in 3 years if there's a fertility drop.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom