Cornish Thread

Wow, sounds a whole lot more intense than a simple banding of a bull calf, I don't see why large scale businesses would do this just to make the meat more tender. 

They don't at this point. Haven't since the 50s-60s or so with the advent of broilers. Broilers grow fast enough that caponizing is pointless. The only businesses that grow capons anymore usually sell to the gourmet market at $80 a capon or some ridiculous price like that.

Last edited:
It's not just about tender...It's about exquisite taste and those who not willing to settle for second or third best.

I'm curious, how is the taste different? Is it very different from a young, heritage breed chicken (say, 16-18 weeks?)

Actually one of my concerns about raising chickens for meat, is that my hubby eats only store bought chicken white meat, and white turkey meat (
sickbyc.gif
). He won't even eat the commercial dark meat. He absolutely loathes duck, he says it tastes like liver (hates that too). He loves steak though (go figure) and- get this- Limburger cheese (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I'd be afraid if the chicken actually tastes like chicken............ and I mean the white meat- back to the grocery store I go. Normally he gets the white meat, and I get the dark meat- but if the white meat tastes like commercial dark meat, I'm doomed! (Unless maybe it tastes like LImbruger
wink.png
)

I'm curious, how is the taste different? Is it very different from a young, heritage breed chicken (say, 16-18 weeks?)

Actually one of my concerns about raising chickens for meat, is that my hubby eats only store bought chicken white meat, and white turkey meat (
sickbyc.gif
). He won't even eat the commercial dark meat. He absolutely loathes duck, he says it tastes like liver (hates that too). He loves steak though (go figure) and- get this- Limburger cheese (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I'd be afraid if the chicken actually tastes like chicken............ and I mean the white meat- back to the grocery store I go. Normally he gets the white meat, and I get the dark meat- but if the white meat tastes like commercial dark meat, I'm doomed! (Unless maybe it tastes like LImbruger
wink.png
)

Hopefully he is one that likes white meat and doesn't taste the difference. ALOT of people like or dislike what they think they do But if he doesn't like the home grown without ever tasting then well I'm sorry. Call me when dinner is ready. I'll eat white or dark (dark preferred) store bought or not.

Yes check out Edwin Smith ,He has a FB also. He has dark cornish LF and bantams,great show birds and he ships. Hes out of Oregon .good luck

So my chicks were hatching last night, but it was too late to stay up and watch the results. This morning I came out to see what last nights hatch brought me...

Weight 45.3g or 1.6 ounces
Apparently when you make 3/4 Dark Cornish with Bob and Marion you get this color.
Okay all you chicken color "eggspurts" out there, what color? Black or Dark grey(blue)?

Last edited:
Hopefully he is one that likes white meat and doesn't taste the difference. ALOT of people like or dislike what they think they do But if he doesn't like the home grown without ever tasting then well I'm sorry. Call me when dinner is ready. I'll eat white or dark (dark preferred) store bought or not.
LOL Will do! I don't want that nice chicken to go to waste! There will be a lot of culls this fall............. I ordered quite a few of some hatchery breeds, most won't get to stay. This is the part about chicken keeping that's hard for me :-( but I'm determined to better my breeds, so I'll have to get tougher.

So my chicks were hatching last night, but it was too late to stay up and watch the results. This morning I came out to see what last nights hatch brought me...

Weight 45.3g or 1.6 ounces
Apparently when you make 3/4 Dark Cornish with Bob and Marion you get this color.
Okay all you chicken color "eggspurts" out there, what color? Black or Dark grey(blue)?
Congratulations! My guess is blue with red leakage, and it's a girl!

Back
Top Bottom