Cornish Thread

One good thing about ordering a lot of new chicks Buckeye is you have more to chose from instead of keeping that maybe. And culling is easier when you really need (or have) to. That'll get you practiced up on the butchering for next year when you don't have so many culls.

One good thing about ordering a lot of new chicks Buckeye is you have more to chose from instead of keeping that maybe. And culling is easier when you really need (or have) to. That'll get you practiced up on the butchering for next year when you don't have so many culls.

Too true- this year I had the choice of poor, bad and worse for my 3 roosters......... and the one I chose dropped dead so I've learned my lessons!

True I suppose. But on the flip side, a high percentage of "maybe" chicks are what you should probably expect to receive mainly from most mail order hatcheries. Type wise anyway.

So my chicks were hatching last night, but it was too late to stay up and watch the results. This morning I came out to see what last nights hatch brought me... Weight 45.3g or 1.6 ounces Apparently when you make 3/4 Dark Cornish with Bob and Marion you get this color. Okay all you chicken color "eggspurts" out there, what color? Black or Dark grey(blue)?
Nice biddies...2nd picture is a platypus! Like the darker color thinking black with green shine and some red streaks with white wing tips

True I suppose. But on the flip side, a high percentage of "maybe" chicks are what you should probably expect to receive mainly from most mail order hatcheries. Type wise anyway.
lol.png
yes, but one can hope that the odd one, might be a little less maybe!

On the plus side, found a source for some very good bantam dark cornish- definitely on the list for 2017.

lol.png
yes, but one can hope that the odd one, might be a little less maybe!

On the plus side, found a source for some very good bantam dark cornish- definitely on the list for 2017.

That's what I'm trying to say, poorly. That you are always money ahead doing your homework and getting quality birds from a breeder than rolling the dice with hatchery birds, unless maybe somebody else is buying your feed for you.

That's what I'm trying to say, poorly. That you are always money ahead doing your homework and getting quality birds from a breeder than rolling the dice with hatchery birds, unless maybe somebody else is buying your feed for you.

I agree, with further savings by getting the absolute best trio of adults possible. So far I've found that hatching eggs are the most expensive way to get a good chicken............

Actually I did end up with a couple of hens I'm quite happy with, - and if that one rooster didn't have that wretched telescoping comb, I'd have had a trio I think might have been a good start (for my purposes, not for exhibition of course).

Last edited:

My Black Cornish Bantam hen. Anybody have any comments on quality? I've yet to pick up a copy of the SOP for myself, lol. I know she's got a nice chunky body though, almost hard to hold her in only one hand given how wide she is. Wide and very strong.

Back
Top Bottom