Cornish Thread

True I suppose. But on the flip side, a high percentage of "maybe" chicks are what you should probably expect to receive mainly from most mail order hatcheries. Type wise anyway.

Or I like my hatchery chickens better than the SOP and I didn't have to hunt down some1 who has eggs or chicks that they can't ship to me and I can't afford. Hatcheries are not for everyone and usually not for competitive show person yet very convenient for other who want a type to get started. They can keep and selective breed and later buy a few from some breeder they meet on here such as yourself to up their quality and lower my egg count. No offense but the ease and convenience of the hatcheries is why they are so big. Like Wal-Mart.lol

Restate. Not better than the SOP but what I'd rather have. I don't like to AI so if my chickens are not winning blue ribbons in the show it's ok because they still win a place on my table. Eggs or whole chicken.

I can't speak for everyone here but Dad raised top notch large fowl white Cornish for as long as I can remember, and never AI ed. He would have had no idea, or inclination, to even try.

I read the SOP to try to get a feel for what's SOP correct, without much success.......... I was told it's best to read rather than look at the pictures. I'm really trying to wrap my head around this breed!
How would a "perfect" cornish from 100 years ago do at a show today? If it wouldn't win any more, why? What's changed? Big medicine would your dad's Cornish still win at shows?
And, is there a lot of difference between a line of Cornish that are not artificially inseminated, and ones that need to be? Is it just a question of a tiny bit of difference in leg length/ broadness of breast etc.? Or is there a huge difference? Or would it be impossible to tell by looking?

My 1989 standard says that the Cornish thighs are medium length, and shanks are moderately short and stout- do Cornish lose at shows for having too short legs?
The standard for Orpingtons on the other hand says legs set very widely apart, thighs are moderately short, shanks moderately short and stout.

In my head, the Cornish would have a wider gap between the legs than the orpington, but have longer legs than the Orpington.......... is this true ?????
Judges please help, I find this all very confusing!

@Sambat,a platypus???? How do they taste
1f61c.png

I can't speak for everyone here but Dad raised top notch large fowl white Cornish for as long as I can remember, and never AI ed. He would have had no idea, or inclination, to even try.
I would agree that you do not have to AI and have outstanding birds. We have never AI ed a bird , and I think we have done fairly well in the show world. I am not saying that there are not advantages to AI, but it is possible to breed quality show birds and standard bred birds without AI

Back
Top Bottom